• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Well you just never know...........

Old’nGoldie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the sun had decided to put in an appearance yesterday, thought it was time to dust off the beach gear and head to the coast. Gave my son Steve a call and decided on Brighton for a chance of a plaice or two. No fresh lug available anywhere local, so had to carry out an excavation in the freezer in the hope of finding some mummified black lug and some ancient squid. Bait (of sorts) sorted.

Arrived about 9:00am to a fairly empty beach, with just a a few anglers in the distance clustered around what is popularly considered ‘the hotspot’. A Calm but murky sea greeted us, with a bit of a swell, but generally looking ok, if not ideal for plaice. Fished two rods each with small lug and squid wraps on a variety of rigs using plain leads allowing the rigs to move around in the tide. Not much showed in the first hour or two apart from a small plaice to Steve and intermittently the odd rocking. As the tide picked up, the rocking and odd pin whiting showed, but it was painfully slow. Good job the weatherman got it right with his prediction of blue skies and wall to wall sunshine, probably wouldn’t have stuck it out otherwise.

Picked up a plaice/dab double shot (both nearly see through) about an hour before high, so decided to crack on. Steve had another plaice and a slightly bigger dab and the rocking/whiting also increased in numbers, if not in size. Both agreed we’d have a last cast so picked up my rod to reel in for a rebait and realised I’d picked up my other line. Felt pretty heavy on reeling in, so Steve grabbed my other rod to take up the slack, when over the shingle bank appeared...... a beautiful February Dover sole. Nobody was more surprised than we two, must be the earliest I’ve ever caught. Good size too, 2lbs on the nose, best I’ve had for a number of years.

1706885651138.jpeg

Well one more last, last cast for both of us resulted in another plaice for me, slightly larger and in size, but still well below my minimum take size. All in all a good day, fairly typical early season (apart from the sole) and it certainly fired my enthusiasm for another trip on the next set of springs - weather permitting of course. Cheers for now, Bob.

Nice report Bob, lovely Sole, good little session by the looks of it mate... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report Bob, and a nice Sole. Reports like that may encourage me to make more of an effort later this year. 🎣🎣👍👍

Nice catches great report & piccy,well done 👍🎣
Thanks, Wolf
Great report Bob, and a nice Sole. Reports like that may encourage me to make more of an effort later this year. 🎣🎣👍👍
Cheers Trampster.
Nice fish bey 👍👍👍👍
Thanks, Tat
Nice report Bob, lovely Sole, good little session by the looks of it mate... 🎣 🎣

Ian.
Thanks for the feedback Wingnut
Nice, bonus sole can’t be bad!
Thanks Mr F.

Last edited:
Back