• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West of Scotland

Phepster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi
I live near Largs and tomorrow will be my first shore fishing attempt.
I’ve picked up most gear to have a bash at float fishing, just need some help where best to fish.
I’m happy travelling upto couple hours, close to home would be great but as it’s first time, results will be important to keep me interested!
Any ideas people?

thanks

If you are using float fishing tactics you could try for wrasse between Hunterston power station and Portencross pier.
Park at the end of the road at the power station and walk towards Portencross until you see a comfortable spot to fish.
Ragworm (from Fairlie!!) would be your best bait and will tempt wrasse and anything else that is around.

Best of luck, personally I'd forget about float fishing until the end of April next year. Although if you're lucky you may get the odd late season mackerel.

If you are using float fishing tactics you could try for wrasse between Hunterston power station and Portencross pier.
Park at the end of the road at the power station and walk towards Portencross until you see a comfortable spot to fish.
Ragworm (from Fairlie!!) would be your best bait and will tempt wrasse and anything else that is around.
That’s probably the area I fancy most, just working my way along there, never caught Wrasse, fingers crossed

Back