• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales WET,WET, WET

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
For once the weather forecast was correct :rolleyes: easterly winds and continuous rain from 9pm meant that weather conditions were against us from the start. The mark was a new one for me and the novice. I'd carried out a recce earlier in the day and had had a good brief from my bait provider. This is the place where he digs his worms and the whole area is well covered in lug casts. It's a mark I'd known about for years and had looked at from a distance . We had a lb of quality lug each and a few fresh peelers . Managed to set up in the daylight with two rods each . I was sticking to my idea of going back to basics and using just a very simple rig with a single size 3/0 fine wire hook for the lug and a pennel rig with a circle hook for the crab. Fortunately the wind was on on out backs so the continuous rain was bearable . Very short casts into a gulley as the tide receded. No bites at all on the ebb tide and a slight problem with some floating weed. Darkness fell and low water arrived . I had tried crab on one rod but no takers. As soon as the flood started I made sure that I had fresh worms on both rods and bites started almost immediately . Fairly obvious that the bait robbers were very small bass as the novice pulled one in. I stuck to my guns with big lug baits and even then a very small bass attached itself to my hook and gave the rod tip a real rattle. The rain got heavier and wind stronger and the tide was flooding at a fair old speed. We were both down to one rod each now. The novice had snapped off , basic mistake of not taking off the bail arm before casting , given the conditions , forgiveable. I had found one of the few snags and pulled for a break which came very easily leading me to think I need to replace my braid main line. Veals order placed all ready today. ? I had another small bass before we packed up at 0100. The walk back to the cars was slow and cautions as darkness and small rocks at the top of the beach made it difficult. Crossed the rail line safely on a proper crossing point just before a train came along :eek:. I had left some coffee in a thermal cup in the car which was still warm and that helped lift the spirits before the drive home .
It was a rough old session but I'm glad we persevered. Definitely will be going back when tides and weather are suitable .

Sounds like a great session VDM despite the big Girls not wanting to play. Well done mate. ??

Back