• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East What are the chances!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all.
As is usually the way, I headed out Saturday night to a fairly local beach to target a ray or two and maybe even look for an early hound.
It was a nice calm night out and was steadily producing dogs but not in silly numbers, just enough to keep interest going. Eventually, I found my target and landed a nice ray of 6lbs 2oz, a slightly better stamp than the majority so far this year. It was a nice night out overall and very relaxing but no hounds and not much to shout about.
Well, I hadn’t really planned it but Sunday night came and my wife had a friend arrive, visiting from Cornwall for a few nights. Well, as the nattering ensued, I was only ever going one place….. yep, back down the beach!!
The dogs were on the feed again and in slightly bigger numbers than the previous night.
Whilst sitting and watching the rods, I started aimlessly peeling the pile of crab legs and claws I’d removed on the beach before me. On my next cast, I took the pile of legs and whipped them to the side of a sliver of bluey and out it went. I don’t really know why, this isn’t something I’ve done before but a gut feeling lead me to continue.
I wasn’t really waiting more than about 10mins when the rod showed a very encouraging bite, I watched momentarily but it was pretty relentless so I struck in… this was a better weight, and as I slowly drew the fish closer to the shoreline, it went nuts! I’ve not had many rays fight back this much but it stopped me dead a couple of times before finally hitting the shingle. It looked a decent fish. ….and it was! 10lbs 11oz! My biggest of the year so far, my first double figure ray of the year and my second double figure fish in a week, result!!!
The rest of the night was slow and I stayed later than I should have but didn’t mind, that one fish made a huge difference and I also mustered my first bass of 2023 at 45cm… at least it was sizeable! (Still went back)
Monday night and I was adamant I was just going to bed but one thing lead to another and before I knew it, I was back in the beach again!! I really wasn’t staying late though, being the 3rd night in a row, I was exhausted before I even started.
I continued as I’d left off, fish bait on one rod, crab on the other, and the dogs were really out in force. Not ideal when all I wanted was to chill out for a bit!!
As I continued with the crab, I realised I’d amassed a pile of legs again so figured why not try the same tactic that worked on the previous night. I got sorted out and a short while later, out went my bluey/leg/claw combo, I was chuckling to myself; imagine if it goes off again! I thought.
Well, about 20mins later and yep, you guessed it, the rod slowly folded over before springing back completely slack. Textbook ray bite!
I wound down and it again, felt a good fish. It wasn’t quite as ferocious as the fish the night before but I knew it was no baby. Before long, I got my first look and straight away suspected another double. I took the fish up the beach, smiling from ear to ear, and unhooked her before weighing, I was right, 10lbs 7oz!! 3 doubles in a week!!
I was shattered by this point and really couldn’t be bothered to carry on. Despite the devil on my shoulder telling me there were more massive rays to be had, I ignored it and dragged myself off to bed! FB83E0C6-E346-4206-AA25-66182BDEEA2F.jpeg6D37B747-8E9C-446A-A8C9-D62D60FD8093.jpeg1EE866B9-E725-4351-9F97-013F140F9E9F.jpeg2493BBCE-C900-4F85-A518-4714B4839B34.jpegF609B645-133C-4A39-9779-6C3E5AA0157C.jpeg581F4568-6753-4F8F-9F55-AACDBC8D0908.jpeg8394AA15-6389-4BB5-A8D8-46B194154748.jpeg

Top bombing ST. Sounds like you've found a new fav bait for the big roker. I'm Sure the hounds aren't far away as we had one last weekend at 15lb in the shallows on the north side to you.

Wow Stormzy! Another brilliant report & photos! Well done on the double figure Rays mate, and a Bonus Billy Bass! 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report Stormzy, nice mixed bag as well. Excellent pics too mate. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back