• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What to do in/around Dungeness late January?

LoftlessOrganist

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I'm in the Rye area for a few days in a couple of weeks (around 20th Jan) and would like to get some fishing in. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I know it's tough at most marks at this time of year, but one reason is to escape the mother-in-law so I'm not picky... Given the current state of cod fishing, flounder would be nice.

I've joined the forum to ask this, so good to e-meet you all. I look forward to following other threads.

Hi loftless
Welcome to the forum!
There are some quite short tides around the time of your visit, HW is around early evening, good for a daylight session at least.
Dungeness probably your best bet, fish near the bird lookout along front of the power station for the chance of some good sized Dabs? Use stinky old lug or small fish baits I reckon.
Might even be on the beach myself??

Welcome, expect loads of whiting about along the south coast this time of year, for plaice, soles, dabs flounders etc the best bet is to fish over sand from our pebble beaches with fresh lug and peelers. Good luck whatever you decide (y)

I'm in the Rye area for a few days in a couple of weeks (around 20th Jan) and would like to get some fishing in. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I know it's tough at most marks at this time of year, but one reason is to escape the mother-in-law so I'm not picky... Given the current state of cod fishing, flounder would be nice.

I've joined the forum to ask this, so good to e-meet you all. I look forward to following other threads.

Welcome to the forum

Fish wise it's whiting whiting and more whiting. If you are lucky, one of them may be sizable.
Dogfish are often a total pain in the backside.

If you can get through the infestation of the above, you may well have a bumper haul of dabs.

No special tactics or tackle required.
Lugworm is your goto bait.

Sorry, as to venues, Dungeness, dengemarsh, galloways, little stone, pirate springs, dymchurch and Hythe.
Take a look on a map at where you fancy. Let me know and I can give you venue specifics.
Not a clue as to east Sussex side of rye. That's bandit country 😂

Kentish Cod, a very rare beast indeed, ask Shirley, he cant catch them either.. 🤣

Ian.

Did you fish?
How did it go?

Back