• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Orkney Where would you go in Scotland?

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi everyone, hope all is well. Travelling up to Scotland for 9-10 days in the summer as I need to head that way anyways, and was just wondering which area offers the best prospects of fishing from the shore? I'm hoping to target large pollack, and would be nice to tick off some other species we don't commonly get down South like Spurdogs or even cod. Not looking for specific marks at all, just wondering about areas/regions? Willing to travel to anywhere, and currently have in mind Skye or Orkney, just a few pointers to start hatching a plan would be much appreciated. Tight lines,

Skye would be my favoured destination for a big pollock, Neist Point being the one I’d go for. Plenty of other places around the island for other targets.
Never been to Orkney, but it probably holds the best chance of getting a big cod, but the haul there is always out of my budget for the ferry and time too.

I would keep going and stay in either Iceland or Scandinavia.

Definitely fly to Norway (or Shetland for that matter imo). My mother's family are Orcadians, it's best known for world class brown trout fishing but there's some great pollack fishing. I've only scratched the surface and I've had them to 12lb+ on lures. The 'mainland' isle isn't the best as far as acccess to the best shore fishing is concerned ime. If you want more info on the outlying islands then drop me a PM.
Sea trout can be had in many places on fly and lures. One area that's virtually untapped Cape Wrath but that's trekking with a tent in real isolation.

Back