• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Worms surrounded by feathers - Rockanore 23/07/22

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening all, so wifey has given me a (sort of) ultimatum… I can’t go carp fishing until I catch something worth eating from the beach. I have been inundated with eels recently! So with that in mind, I nipped into the tackle shop for a few packs of “fresh” wrapped lug with a mind to hit the beach first thing this morning. Up bright and early this morning, with high tide expected just before 8am, I picked my way to the end of the harbour arm where I was met by several happy chaps from the orient who were throwing mackerel feathers into the calm clear waters. I set up my two Leeda icon elite match rods coupled with my trusty Diawa 7HT multis coupled with 2 hook clipped down rigs baited with lug. The lug was way past fresh, I’ve seen thicker more virile shoelaces, but it’s all I had so I had to make the most of it. I wasn’t best pleased, but the calm sunny morning soon cheered me up no end 875E5826-30D4-49D5-B9C6-566D1487D89B.jpegby 0540 both baits were in the water and I settled back to wait, watching the mackie bashers thrash the water to a foam, more and more were turning up all the time, soon it was like a commercial carp puddle with an angler every 2ft all launching tinsel. Within minutes, a hefty rattle signified the first bite of the session and a whiting quickly hit the shore. 10688023-0363-492D-9CD4-64F8FD81F018.jpegThey were thin little things, but they kept the rod tips rattling. Every cast resulted a double shot of whiting every few mins, so it kept things interesting. F0B3CAD7-C9DA-4435-A614-6C4025C09BDC.jpegThe morning was absolutely beautiful, one of those days that makes you glad to be an angler 9B551829-F0E0-43C7-9993-430BD40E450B.jpegF772AFBD-EFB5-4D70-8794-FC4A4D924EAA.jpega friendly seal even popped in to say hello. 5D7467AA-77E4-4177-8CD5-670F9572A84B.jpegA few more whiting and my bait was all used up. DCECF2D5-3149-41E1-A3F8-8F81BB1C24FF.jpegNote the sea louse attached to one fishes flank. The mackerel chasers were all drawing a blank, not a mackie to be seen, we have only had a day or two where they have shown, it’s been fairly quiet on that front. With the bait gone and all the whiting that I threw back all disappearing down the gullet of a seagull sat below me, I packed the bait rods away and pulled my sonik sks black beachcaster out and rigged up a set of mackerel feathers to a 4oz lead and started to mackie bash too. As I’d been the only one to catch anything that morning I thought I’d show them all how a proper angler does it, and I did - I blanked too! Perfect conditions, albeit a neap tide, and not a knock. After an hour or two fruitlessly casting and retrieving, I thought “one more cast” and with that, the mackie trace snapped between the 3rd and 4th hook. As I watched the lead sail out into open water, I took that as my sign to call it quits and thread my way back over the rocky breakwater and off home.

Nice one mate, good little session, and very nice pics too. (y)

Ian.

Good effort Ouchy!

Ting time already? ?
The harbour arm guards the entrance to the shore launched fishing fleet, I had to (happily) retrieve the gear so the boats could pass by. They drop the guts and discards overboard as they enter the harbour, so I should imagine hoards of hungry tings never needing to leave. It’s fairly deep and steep shelving, sheltered with year round food, it’s ideal for scavengers really. Big bass sit off the harbour arm in the autumn.

The harbour arm guards the entrance to the shore launched fishing fleet, I had to (happily) retrieve the gear so the boats could pass by. They drop the guts and discards overboard as they enter the harbour, so I should imagine hoards of hungry tings never needing to leave. It’s fairly deep and steep shelving, sheltered with year round food, it’s ideal for scavengers really. Big bass sit off the harbour arm in the autumn.
I would think conger would be there for the free food

I would think conger would be there for the free food
Some straps get caught at night, but the seabed all around is mainly sand, I don’t know how wide roaming congers are, I imagine straps are wanderers, but there’s not much structure to hold the bigger girls apart from the wall itself since they repaired it. 8D4DE12E-5175-4BB2-A7FC-F01A958B4191.jpegBefore the repairs (bass would sit in the gap)
6E401CE8-8492-4CBC-AE1F-1F635194090A.jpeg
After the repairs. I reckon the eels could get in the gaps between the rocks but I don’t know anyone that has tried targeting the congers, I certainly won’t!

Some straps get caught at night, but the seabed all around is mainly sand, I don’t know how wide roaming congers are, I imagine straps are wanderers, but there’s not much structure to hold the bigger girls apart from the wall itself since they repaired it. View attachment 29738Before the repairs (bass would sit in the gap)
View attachment 29739
After the repairs. I reckon the eels could get in the gaps between the rocks but I don’t know anyone that has tried targeting the congers, I certainly won’t!
Where there is a pier there is congers for sure , most times ?

Good try Ouchy. Nice report & photos. Shame nothing to go home for Wifey, but at least the Whiting saved a blank. ????

Back