• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sharpening a knife

Kine262

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Okay, so what am I doing wrong?

I’m trying to sharpen my fishing knives using a stone but no matter how much I try, I just can’t seem to get a sharp edge to them.

I’ve used oil on the stone, I’ve sharpened both sides, I’ve used the stone on the knife, the knife on the stone, I’ve pushed away, across and towards me but no matter how much I try I can’t get a sharp edge.

Anyone got any advice that doesn’t involve too much piss-taking?

Get a lansky sharpening kit looks like a mess but it's a amazing peice of kit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729_212336_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729_212336_com.android.chrome.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 15
Years gone by the proper gypsy would be around, he would sharpen your knives.
These days,the metal is mass produced by machines and the edges are cut by lasers, once there blunt it's a throw away society.
Buy a new one.
As others have suggested, buy Sheffield Steel knives, use a stone and oil, or a sharpening blade.
Good Luck ?

You’re not alone mate, I tried to sharpen my filleting knife and ended up making it blunter! I don’t so much fillet a fish as tear it a new ar*ehole
My filleting knife hasn't had a great deal of use (though I sometimes also use it in the kitchen) but it came in a plastic sheath that has a ceramic sharpener on the end. That seems to work well.

I also bought one of these which seem to work fairly well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234087793815?epid=2255331645&hash=item3680b84497:g:1WMAAOSwf0Zg0cjN

Get a lansky sharpening kit looks like a mess but it's a amazing peice of kit
Never seen one of them before! Loads of cheap Chinese copies on eBay, and the genuine item listed at £39.70.

Depends on the steel the knife is made of and the angle the blade is ground at. Softer blades are easier to sharpen but blunt quicker. Not really a problem if you use a ceramic sharpener. Expensi\/e higher carbon or stainless blades are a bit trickier . A ceramic steel will touch them up for only so long before they need to be reground. consistency of the angle between blade and stone is crucial as is the angle itself. If the edge has gone too far on an expensi\/e knife the best bet may be ha\/e it done by a professional. Plenty of step by step guides on youtube though

As others have mentioned a lansky sharpening tool, it makes it nice and easy to keep the right angle on the blade. I would certainly recommend one. Sometimes the oil stone can get clogged up and needs a clean. I find that paraffin is best to clear it and makes the stone more efficient.

I use one of these. Probably horrify the stone and steel purists but it works well and is quick.

Might not be as kind to knives but my filleting knife has lasted years doing it this way

I use one of these. Probably horrify the stone and steel purists but it works well and is quick.

Might not be as kind to knives but my filleting knife has lasted years doing it this way

Cheers mate! Ordered! Found one on offer on Amazon for 8 quid.

Cheers mate! Ordered! Found one on offer on Amazon for 8 quid.
I think some are better than others, it looks as though this particular design didn’t have a patent as there are several versions.
I bought one from a kitchenware shop for about £15 years ago, and it’s been good, but I think Ollie had a cheap one that wasn’t so good.

I think some are better than others, it looks as though this particular design didn’t have a patent as there are several versions.
I bought one from a kitchenware shop for about £15 years ago, and it’s been good, but I think Ollie had a cheap one that wasn’t so good.
The one I’ve bought is from the Anysharp shop so I’ll be sending it back if it’s not good.

Lol a bad workman blames there tools???

The one I’ve bought is from the Anysharp shop so I’ll be sending it back if it’s not good.
Should be a decent brand. You’ve not lost much anyway.

It’s just so easy, clamp on a hard surface, draw knife through two or three times, job done.

I’ve spent ages with a stone too and barely got an edge on the knife, so I know what my choice is!

Even the filleting knife only cost £50/60 years ago, so if it eventually shortens its life I don’t really care that much!

Back