• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sharpening a knife

The one I’ve bought is from the Anysharp shop so I’ll be sending it back if it’s not good.
At least you're getting a genuine one by ordering direct. There are loads of Chinese copies on eBay of the Lansky one that @Chalton mentioned.

I think some are better than others, it looks as though this particular design didn’t have a patent as there are several versions.
I bought one from a kitchenware shop for about £15 years ago, and it’s been good, but I think Ollie had a cheap one that wasn’t so good.
Not me mate. I have a different type of knife sharpener, it’s called a Jonboy

Been using one of those for a while now, filleting knife and all kitchen knifes. Stones and steels are for the dark ages. Couple of seconds with the Anysharp and you have a scalpel
Yep, don’t see the point of sitting there for ages stropping your weapon like some frustrated Viking warrior when the gadget will do it in about two seconds ??‍♂️

A few years ago i was getting loads of trout so bought a dear filleting knife.
It was as sharp as a razor, but i have never been able to get it anywhere near sharp as it needs to be.
I can get cheaper thinner knives sharp on a steel, but not that one.

I use one of these. Probably horrify the stone and steel purists but it works well and is quick.

Might not be as kind to knives but my filleting knife has lasted years doing it this way

They are great for cheaper knifes like filleting kni\/es and the like. I wouldn't try one on expensi\/e kitchen knifes though

They are great for cheaper knifes like filleting kni\/es and the like. I wouldn't try one on expensi\/e kitchen knifes though
We don’t really own any. My filleting knife at about £60 is probably the most expensive knife I own.
Otherwise it’s just a few Kitchen Devil knives indoors

Been using one of those for a while now, filleting knife and all kitchen knifes. Stones and steels are for the dark ages. Couple of seconds with the Anysharp and you have a scalpel
Mine was great for about a year and then less effective , just ordered new "blades" so hopefully it will restore effectiveness.

Gotta look at the cost to buy new against the cost for a sharpening kit?
I did think about just buying new but as I have four different types of fishing knives that all cost about 20 quid each then £8 for a knife sharpener seems like the best option.

If you have a bench grinder cut, very accurately and circle of 22mm mdf board and mount it on the grinder. Once you have yourself a half decent edge on the knife the load the edge of the mdf with various grades of cutting compound and polish the edge to a razor sharp edge... seen it on youtube and have to say looked very impressive. I have to say I use a rather cheap diamond steel and it works very well.

Back