• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sharpening a knife

I think you’ll probably find that it says Albacete.
Albacete Inox are a Spanish style hunting knife.
Thanks WIll - pretty sure you are right, so at least I have found out where it came from. Did some more research and found a couple of similar ones. Albacete is the Spanish capital of cutlery & knife making, so still not sure who made it, or whether that crest has any significance.

Cheers to @Mr Fish This little beauty turned up earlier and I have now sharpened all four fishing knives as well as a few in home. It’s a fantastic little gadget and has put razor sharp edges onto all of the knives with no effort whatsoever. The instructions say to make three passes with each knife but two did it easily.

For 8 quid even if it only lasts one year it will be well worth it!

Got to watch I don’t cut myself now.

Received my replacement blades yesterday , £4 odd , and it's like new. Still chops minute bits of the blade off my kitchen devil knife but leaves it as sharp as a sharp thing.

Received my replacement blades yesterday , £4 odd , and it's like new. Still chops minute bits of the blade off my kitchen devil knife but leaves it as sharp as a sharp thing.
I worried about it chopping my filleting knife blade at first but been doing it years now and still plenty of knife left, so don’t think I’ll lose any sleep over that.

Okay, so what am I doing wrong?

I’m trying to sharpen my fishing knives using a stone but no matter how much I try, I just can’t seem to get a sharp edge to them.

I’ve used oil on the stone, I’ve sharpened both sides, I’ve used the stone on the knife, the knife on the stone, I’ve pushed away, across and towards me but no matter how much I try I can’t get a sharp edge.

Anyone got any advice that doesn’t involve too much piss-taking?
Sharpening a knife is like any thing is a skill not easy to learn. Some knives you just cant get a good edge on them this is probably due to what metal and what hardness the blade is made out of . I use a wet stone and a honing steel and all knives even after a few cuts need attention . Go into a butchers and you,ll always see them honing there knives.

Sharpening a knife is like any thing is a skill not easy to learn. Some knives you just cant get a good edge on them this is probably due to what metal and what hardness the blade is made out of . I use a wet stone and a honing steel and all knives even after a few cuts need attention . Go into a butchers and you,ll always see them honing there knives.
Or buy an Anysharp ??‍♂️

Or buy an Anysharp ??‍♂️
Sometimes in life a certain amount of compatibility is required. For example a 30 or 40 quid knife yes I will use a sharpener that is akin to a mini grinding wheel or drag it over a couple of pieces of sharp edged tungsten carbide. You are tearing the knife to bites but who cares you want a sharp knife! However with a thing of beauty say an expensive hand crafted Damascus bladed knife or the like I would be paying for a set of Japanese water stones and a very good strop. Now where do you get one of those cheap sharpeners? I use cheap knives :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes in life a certain amount of compatibility is required. For example a 30 or 40 quid knife yes I will use a sharpener that is akin to a mini grinding wheel or drag it over a couple of pieces of sharp edged tungsten carbide. You are tearing the knife to bites but who cares you want a sharp knife! However with a thing of beauty say an expensive hand crafted Damascus bladed knife or the like I would be paying for a set of Japanese water stones and a very good strop. Now where do you get one of those cheap sharpeners? I use cheap knives :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn’t pay out for a handcrafted blade tempered with the sweat and semen of the samurai anyway, so all is good. ??‍♂️

Large diamond plate made by Eze Lap for my filleting knives still going strong after 20 odd years. Give them a strop afterwards to clean off any burr remaining and burnish the edge. Fishmongers are far more fussy about how sharp their knives are than a butcher and they don't use what are sold as filleting knives. Best thing for chunking fish like macks is a serrated edge knife.

Okay, so what am I doing wrong?

I’m trying to sharpen my fishing knives using a stone but no matter how much I try, I just can’t seem to get a sharp edge to them.

I’ve used oil on the stone, I’ve sharpened both sides, I’ve used the stone on the knife, the knife on the stone, I’ve pushed away, across and towards me but no matter how much I try I can’t get a sharp edge.

Anyone got any advice that doesn’t involve too much piss-taking?
I had your problem, look at the blade you should see a slight angle on the cutting edge,try and keep the same angle when applying it to the stone,practice on a old blade

Large diamond plate made by Eze Lap for my filleting knives still going strong after 20 odd years. Give them a strop afterwards to clean off any burr remaining and burnish the edge. Fishmongers are far more fussy about how sharp their knives are than a butcher and they don't use what are sold as filleting knives. Best thing for chunking fish like macks is a serrated edge knife.
Foodie programme on TV visited a well known fishmonger in Edinburgh where they interviewed the old boy who had been filliting and cutting fish for just over 50yrs. He laughed when they asked if he used expensive blades. His weapon of choice was old flexible butter knives that he sharpened up himself.

iv worked with knives thoughout most of my life in the meat trade and fish trade , the better the quality of the steel the better the knife holds its edge and also makes it easier to sharpen , these so called filleting knifes from tackle shops are completely useless sub quality steel and rip off prices , go to a iron monger and buy a proper knife and save yourself money and frustration,and go to your local butcher or fishmonger to sharpen it

I’m a newbie on here, so obviously take anything I say with a pinch of salt, but I’m a bit of a knife geek ? and have quite a few of them for various disciplines. I have Wusthof and Global for the kitchen, Swibo Swiss knives for throwabout general purpose outdoor and Spyderco for pocket/pose purposes. I use the Lansky sharpening kit to keep them all sharp, which cost me less than £30 a few years ago and is still going strong. It takes bit of getting used to, but is way easier than using stones if you don’t know what you are doing. And it just works! Most of the cheaper commercially available “easy sharpener“ systems will just wear down the steel and ruin your knives.
Outside of “geek land” I have used, and can recommend this https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/skaera...n/p/skaerande-knife-sharpener-black-50289169/

Foodie programme on TV visited a well known fishmonger in Edinburgh where they interviewed the old boy who had been filliting and cutting fish for just over 50yrs. He laughed when they asked if he used expensive blades. His weapon of choice was old flexible buTER KNI\/ES
I'\/e got a few of them that I use myself. The good sheffield ones take hell of an edge and keep it well

Back