• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review WARNING TURKANA LEADS

chesilpete

Reaction score
So Saturday I fished Chesil and took my Harrison Torrix P1s for a bit of a general session.

I can cast a bit not massive but I can get the job done, the difference using my P1s rather then my stiffer rods is that the rod comes over more vertically, when I use my heavy rods it comes round more to the side.
My mate Trev was on my right, the long and short of it is that the swivel loop in the lead pulled out, this happened on an identical lead on the Thursday last week.

I have no doubt that I could have killed Trev on Saturday and the blame would have been firmly with Turkana but frankly that would not have made me feel any better. The leads had probably been used 3 times.

The ones with the solid tail are NOT a problem.

This is NOT GOOD ENOUGH its a premium product not some back street lead maker charging a quid a pop these are the premium leads and the most expensive in the marketplace.

AND THEY ARE LETHAL I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM IT APPEARS I HOPE THAT GOOGLE SEOs THIS PAGE.

Turkana lead review
Turkana americano review

AMERICANO RUBBER COATED LEADS (MULTI COLOUR MIXED) LUMINOUS X 6​

Hi Pete. I've often wondered why they and other glow on dark type leads use a swivel on top of their leads and not a standard loop. There is one brand which have a shrink sleeve over the half the swivel and to me that is shouting corrosion. Luckily these are connected to a decent standard guage loop so I normally snip off the swivels.

Chesil bait and tackle shop sells some wicked little pyramid type glow leads with decent loops - I stock up when I'm down as they are not on their Web site

Never been a fan of these Conti style multi coloured leads, just seem a gimmick to me. But thats just my opinion.

Ian.

Hi Pete. I've often wondered why they and other glow on dark type leads use a swivel on top of their leads and not a standard loop. There is one brand which have a shrink sleeve over the half the swivel and to me that is shouting corrosion. Luckily these are connected to a decent standard guage loop so I normally snip off the swivels.

Chesil bait and tackle shop sells some wicked little pyramid type glow leads with decent loops - I stock up when I'm down as they are not on their Web site
Good shout to cut them off and go to the loop below Dan..... but the fact remains you pay for a top drawer product you dont expect to end an evening waiting for the helicopter to arrive to take your mate off the beach.
The design is flawed and I do not think that these leads should be for sale.
Its like the gemini splashdown issue with the red ones........... according to them there was no issues with them either clicking open or releasing the bait on the way out.
BUT
The latest ones are improved and they have addressed the issue but still sold the old stock.
Anything that is sold by a decent company should be fit for purpose especially when it holds a projectile onto the rod.
You buy a big bag of dodgy clips from Alibaba then you could be expecting trouble but you buy an item from a high end UK tackle Co you have every right to expect it to at lease do the job safely.

Last edited:

Swivels with the black shrink tube are fine as decent swivels and if your that worried about corrosion perhaps shouldn't be sea fishing as everything corrodes/Degrades in Marine environment! Even stainless steel will in the end.

I got an order of various leads from Turkana while back they they "Pestered" me to leave Feedback which i did about the loops (White ones are Brass)and why have some like the buckets that came via Veals have decent swivels(have shrink tube over base)yet later ones from you have the brass ones! and suffer badly when handle by the Royal Fail Olympic Parcel throwing team in training! as get bent which 9 out of 10 will never get straitened so always casting wonky so prone to failing (as brass when bent Being a Mailable metal will suffer fractures in each time bent as hardens/Anneals leading to breaking)
So asked why still using brass when have other types to use which are far better as had some fail myself and had heard others have launched them along beach when casting as swivel top has snapped off!

But no points for correct guess! they never posted reviews or replied either.
Yet there selling substandard items for premium prices and we use decent leaders/clips/swivels/lines and so on to Negate dangers of errant leads taking out anyone along Beach but they fail like something you'd expect from "Hey johnny me love you long time!"
Yet the Irony is the China ones would most likely be better?

Have spoken to Veals about this and said they wasn't aware they been snapping so will be onto it as there name is on them!
Veals do some Green and black ones which are ok.

I do/did have one of those Americano with just a loop come loose inside lead.

So where do you stand if take someone/something out with a lead failing then?

I got an order of various leads from Turkana while back they they "Pestered" me to leave Feedback which i did about the loops (White ones are Brass)and why have some like the buckets that came via Veals have decent swivels(have shrink tube over base)yet later ones from you have the brass ones! and suffer badly when handle by the Royal Fail Olympic Parcel throwing team in training! as get bent which 9 out of 10 will never get straitened so always casting wonky so prone to failing (as brass when bent Being a Mailable metal will suffer fractures in each time bent as hardens/Anneals leading to breaking)
So asked why still using brass when have other types to use which are far better as had some fail myself and had heard others have launched them along beach when casting as swivel top has snapped off!

But no points for correct guess! they never posted reviews or replied either.
Yet there selling substandard items for premium prices and we use decent leaders/clips/swivels/lines and so on to Negate dangers of errant leads taking out anyone along Beach but they fail like something you'd expect from "Hey johnny me love you long time!"
Yet the Irony is the China ones would most likely be better?

Have spoken to Veals about this and said they wasn't aware they been snapping so will be onto it as there name is on them!
Veals do some Green and black ones which are ok.

I do/did have one of those Americano with just a loop come loose inside lead.

So where do you stand if take someone/something out with a lead failing then?
Depends how quickly you can cover the body with shingle…

Good shout to
Its like the breakaway splashdown issue with the red ones........... according to them there was no issues with them either clicking open or releasing the bait on the way out.
BUT
The latest ones are improved and they have addressed the issue but still sold the old stock.
Anything that is sold by a decent company should be fit for purpose especially when it holds a projectile onto the rod.
Hang on a second Pete the Splashdowns are a Gemini product NOT Breakaway!

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I must confess I have never heard of Turkana, and would be unlikely to buy leads from them. I stick to the plain old bombs & grippers from a local tackle store, last lot were 80p 3oz, £1 4oz, and I don't often use anything heavier.

Very scary Pete, glad your mate was OK ?

Just not good enough really, I'm guessing the leads are intended for oht casting from a conti rod?

However I pendulum cast like lots of lads and glad you put post up so I can stay well clear ?..... Mind at the price I can only see me using ones I find on the beach ??

Very scary Pete, glad your mate was OK ?

Just not good enough really, I'm guessing the leads are intended for oht casting from a conti rod?

However I pendulum cast like lots of lads and glad you put post up so I can stay well clear ?..... Mind at the price I can only see me using ones I find on the beach ??
Yea but the ones you find on the beach won’t have swivels in them ?

Back