• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

100g 10' rod

Craig

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm after a rod that is ideally no longer than 10 foot and can cast up to 100g, or there abouts.

I'm still recovering from a wrist problem and am really struggling to cast and retrieve with my 6 and baits and SKS blacks, so went out last week with two spinning rods and really enjoyed it. This has led me to the conclusion that as there's nothing of any real size about at the minute, I could get away with a 100g spinning rod and ideally 10 foot long so I can still get abit of distance. The main reason I say a spinning rod is because the butt is so slim that I can hold them quite comfortably, also they don't have the extra length of the uptiders I've tried. I had hoped I could just use one of my uptiders as they're the right length and can cast a variety of weights but they are so uncomfortable that I gave up on that idea.

I've got a 20-50g 10' rod and a 150g 8' rod which I took last week and that's what made me decide on something in the middle as the 8' wasn't long enough and the 20-50g didn't quite have the power I wanted.

Budget wise I'm happy to spend £100, maybe more if needed.

Any suggestions are very welcome and much appreciated.

When shops reopen have a look at the Shakespeare Agility 2 Flattie 10' 6", it has a slim blank and will put a 75g weight a good distance. I've seen one handle some decent rays from a pier.

or the 10' MPV which looks similar but is rated to 4oz

"The Agility 2 MPV is an all purpose rod which can be used for lots of lighter work. The 3 piece blank has a quickish taper but under pressure produces a firm strong parabolic curve. Anglers can use the rod for lots of different purposes, from float fishing for pollack and mackerel to ledgering a light grip lead and bait or even pumping a heavier metal spinner over kelp beds, it really is that adaptable. Length 10' Casting 2 - 4oz 3 piece blank Fast taper action Fully multipurpose Lined guides Suitable for fixed spool or multiplier Screw winch"

For a cheap rod, have a look at Abu Devil rod 10ft and can cast up to 80 gms.

I also have a Penn 2-4oz 10ft rod, it is rather heavy compared with my 11ft 6" 2-5oz bass rods made by TF Gear.

Thanks for the replies, there's definitely some food for thought there. I'll have a look later sometime.
The Shakespeare and Penn certainly sound like they'd fit the bill so far.

When shops reopen have a look at the Shakespeare Agility 2 Flattie 10' 6", it has a slim blank and will put a 75g weight a good distance. I've seen one handle some decent rays from a pier.

or the 10' MPV which looks similar but is rated to 4oz

"The Agility 2 MPV is an all purpose rod which can be used for lots of lighter work. The 3 piece blank has a quickish taper but under pressure produces a firm strong parabolic curve. Anglers can use the rod for lots of different purposes, from float fishing for pollack and mackerel to ledgering a light grip lead and bait or even pumping a heavier metal spinner over kelp beds, it really is that adaptable. Length 10' Casting 2 - 4oz 3 piece blank Fast taper action Fully multipurpose Lined guides Suitable for fixed spool or multiplier Screw winch"
@cap'nhaddock Do you know if the Shakespeare Agility 2 MPV has a fixed reel seat or movable? And do you know what sort of action it has? I know for £50 I shouldn't expect miracles, but I do prefer a faster action rod and don't like to waste money finding these things out if I can help it.

@cap'nhaddock Do you know if the Shakespeare Agility 2 MPV has a fixed reel seat or movable? And do you know what sort of action it has? I know for £50 I shouldn't expect miracles, but I do prefer a faster action rod and don't like to waste money finding these things out if I can help it.
Can't help you on that, I haven't used the MPV but have the Agility Flattie rods which I use for light beach casting, up to 3 oz, and float fishing. The reel seat is fixed on those.

Fair play, thanks for the help anyway. I reckon I'll take a gamble and order one soon and see what it's like,

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I decided to get the Shakespeare Agility 2 MPV in the end.
I've had a couple of sessions with it now and it's not bad for the money, it's actually alot better than I was expecting.
I managed to get about 90 yds with a 3 Oz lead and around 100 yds with a 4 Oz and I'm by no means a great caster. It's quite stiff for a lighter rod which I thought would be a problem fishing with braid, but I managed to hold bottom fine with 3 & 4 Oz pyramid leads. The only real downside for me is the butt is very slim so not the most comfortable to hold of you've got big hands.
Haven't had a chance to try it on any decent fish yet, only managed a few whiting, dabs and a bass on it so far.
Overall I'm really pleased with it for the money.

Pleased to hear that you are getting on with it OK, most people are surprised at the quality of what is a cheap rod. I bought some Shakespeare Salt Flattie rods ten years ago, still going strong after a lot of use. I found the grip too slim after using other, fatter, rods so wound the grip areas with 3M self adhesive about 15mm x 3mm, finished off with insulating tape at the ends.
It works fine, comfortable to grip with wet hands and has stayed on all that time without replacement.

Attachments

• grip 1.jpg
    grip 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 6
  • grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 6
Back