• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

?

Whatever your comfortable with,there is no stigma involved nowdays,neither make you a better or worse fisherman,both go the distance now and there are fors and against both.Gone are the days when the multiplier users teased the fixed spool users into the ground saying they couldn`t cast to save their lives because nowdays most fs on a continental rod can go upto and sometimes well beyond multipliers,just enjoy whatever you use....but i still prefer multipliers my self ;).
...Alan

Couldn't get used to multis...had a few...couple of sloshes, an Akios Shuttle, Tronixpro Envoy Monomer and a couple of others I've forgotten. Used them successfully for half a session each time and then the inevitable happens and ruins the rest of the sesh. So now on a couple of Penn Surfblaster IIs for bait fishing. Also have a Daiwa BG4000 and a Fin Nor Lethal for lure fishing. Just much easier to use for me than multis...although I'm still tempted to have a bash at one of the baitcaster low profile reels on a lure rod.20200703_104918.jpg20201228_163137.jpg

Couldn't get used to multis...had a few...couple of sloshes, an Akios Shuttle, Tronixpro Envoy Monomer and a couple of others I've forgotten. Used them successfully for half a session each time and then the inevitable happens and ruins the rest of the sesh. So now on a couple of Penn Surfblaster IIs for bait fishing. Also have a Daiwa BG4000 and a Fin Nor Lethal for lure fishing. Just much easier to use for me than multis...although I'm still tempted to have a bash at one of the baitcaster low profile reels on a lure rod.View attachment 4375View attachment 4376
How far you wanting to cast with the baitcaster? I have never seen anyone in a video send it that far with one of them?

How far you wanting to cast with the baitcaster? I have never seen anyone in a video send it that far with one of them?
I'm in two minds weather or not to buy one....lack of distance is one of the things stopping me. The other is its a multiplier!
Was kind of thinking to use it for freshwater perhaps...perch fishing, chucking those little mepps spinners that weigh around 5g.
I suspect its just a temporary 'want' rather than a need. Looking at too many fishing tackle sites is dangerous ??

Multipliers on the boat, small bait caster for drop shot type stuff. Not had a go with a casting multiplier but it's on my list of things to do this year.

Have a question, do casting multipliers use level wind or is this a matter of preference to the user (sorry if it's a novice question but I'm into new territory here). Recommendations for a sub £75 starter to try it out appreciated.

edit: Diawa SL30SH seems to feature in a number of videos I've seen.
Hi well unless a complete Noob Levelwinds on any Multiplier are a loss Beach wise cause issues and cut distance down a lot plus corrosion magnet!
Bait caster are sort of ok as narrow spools and light gear plus short distance use.
Boat wise a NO often lead to spectacular Failures at worst point and heavy work forget it as when under heavy load like say a Common skate ask @Mike hemming @CKB this little mechanism is trying to push line across spool which is under a lot of pressure so line and even worse with braid is trying to cut through sides of guide plus wearing on pawl beneath and gearing and if the gearing which is mostly nylon strips the guide could be stuck anywhere along spool even worse is if at ends which is where most fail you cant guide line on spool yourself as mech is close in front of it so could easily cost you fish of life time as could bunch at one end so stops reel turning

Couldn't get used to multis...had a few...couple of sloshes, an Akios Shuttle, Tronixpro Envoy Monomer and a couple of others I've forgotten. Used them successfully for half a session each time and then the inevitable happens and ruins the rest of the sesh. So now on a couple of Penn Surfblaster IIs for bait fishing. Also have a Daiwa BG4000 and a Fin Nor Lethal for lure fishing. Just much easier to use for me than multis...although I'm still tempted to have a bash at one of the baitcaster low profile reels on a lure rod.View attachment 4375View attachment 4376
Line Lay on that Fin nor is Shocking! or is that gap down front where you keep your Bait stashed?

got 2 fixed spools surf blaster thing cast well just to big , ok when topeing off the boat .other one a cheep Chinese thing 15£ for light lures off boat, 2 fathoms 12 i like these cast well straight out of box and one 15 that ok for long range for tope off shore with line to spare , penn turbo and 7ht good reels for clean ground at range .

I'm in two minds weather or not to buy one....lack of distance is one of the things stopping me. The other is its a multiplier!
Was kind of thinking to use it for freshwater perhaps...perch fishing, chucking those little mepps spinners that weigh around 5g.
I suspect its just a temporary 'want' rather than a need. Looking at too many fishing tackle sites is dangerous ??
I had a look at them for a while too, but then thought if it ain't broke!

Line Lay on that Fin nor is Shocking! or is that gap down front where you keep your Bait stashed?
Yep....its not good. It came with a couple of spacers to sort that out....just haven't got around to fitting them yet. Partly why I have mono on there....would be even worse with braid.

Yep....its not good. It came with a couple of spacers to sort that out....just haven't got around to fitting them yet. Partly why I have mono on there....would be even worse with braid.
Its a shame because its a beautifully built reel.

Last edited:
I've bought and gotten rid of loads of multis since starting fishing. I've kept a pair of Fathom II mag 15s. For me it's mainly about line, mono or braid. I use 0.4mm or 0.45mm, no less in the Bristol channel.

On my fixed spools, I will fish with either 30lb jbraid/Chinese 8 strand braid on my Shimano 5500/14ks depending on clean/mixed ground, or Chinese 8 strand 40lb on my spinfisher 7500 (it's too big tbh, might sell it and get a 6500) for the rough ground. Using 60 to 100lb leader, ground dependant.

I rarely lose gear on braid, whilst the same marks eat my gear for breakfast if I'm on mono, the lack of stretch bumps your gear up and out the way more often than not, mono has no chance. If I have to pull for a break I often win with braid and most of the time lose with mono.

But...I do enjoy casting a multi, so I'll often take a multi if the mark is known to have lots of weed or a strong tidal pull and isn't that snaggy, i.e mixed at most, the rod tips behave better that way and I still get my gear back most of the time. I would also contemplate using multis if I'm fishing off of a platform, i.e rock marks, piers etc, where the reel is a winch, but I don't fish many of those currently.

Tool for a job is the best way of looking at it. I will say though that If i take a multi, I always feel like I'm hampering my casting range and I'm definitely hampering my bite detection. Probably says a lot and that I should flog my fathoms!

Hi well unless a complete Noob Levelwinds on any Multiplier are a loss Beach wise cause issues and cut distance down a lot plus corrosion magnet!
Bait caster are sort of ok as narrow spools and light gear plus short distance use.
Boat wise a NO often lead to spectacular Failures at worst point and heavy work forget it as when under heavy load like say a Common skate ask @Mike hemming @CKB this little mechanism is trying to push line across spool which is under a lot of pressure so line and even worse with braid is trying to cut through sides of guide plus wearing on pawl beneath and gearing and if the gearing which is mostly nylon strips the guide could be stuck anywhere along spool even worse is if at ends which is where most fail you cant guide line on spool yourself as mech is close in front of it so could easily cost you fish of life time as could bunch at one end so stops reel turning
And not forgetting the leader knot jamming in it and you try undoing a birdy with a level wind ,best thing to use a level wind reel for is ,tie it to your rig and use as a lead ,tight lines lol

I've done the same a good few multis have gone mainly 6500 size did a bit of casting still got a few for the cleaner beaches I'm quite happy using multi for everything but the heavy ground definitely bit of a game changer
other thing is whe you mention fixed spools its always with braid you never see anyone with mono on nowadays changes the feel of a rod no end locks up quickly instant power feels a bit harsh
feels much nicer winding a rod up with multi & mono smooth build up of power
I can't be doing with braid!!!

used multis since I started sea fishing as a kid about 20 plus years mainly because that's what my dad and mates all used and stuck with them... but for my bassing last few years switched to fixed spool daiwa castism qd , noticed a lot quicker strike and reeling in line from big drop back bites so connected with more fish still prefer casting big baits for rays and hounds etc with a multi though

I currently use MK1 Penn 535 mags on my beach casters, got 3 of them (and a non magged 4th for spares) and some spare reels with different lines to change over when needed. I've been using braid on them for the last 2 or 3 years. I've also got a Penn M2 525 mag but hardly use it as its small, flimsy and not as well put together compared to my 535 mk1's.

There musn't have been enough sales to warrant producing a mk3 or mk4 penn 535 mag which is a shame as it would have been interesting to see if they would have been any good.

I'd maybe upgrade to more recent models but to do the same thing and have the same or greater capacity than the mk1 535 mags I'd have to spend a load more money as there doesn't seen to be a modern equivalent in the same price range.

Does anyone know what magged casting reel has the biggest capacity?

And not forgetting the leader knot jamming in it and you try undoing a birdy with a level wind ,best thing to use a level wind reel for is ,tie it to your rig and use as a lead ,tight lines lol
Esp if a PMR one! They grip extra well must be something to do with the "Sticky" BullShit?:ROFLMAO:

I use both, have a mixture of beach rods , some multi and some f/spool. Use multi’s for dead baiting when I am pike fishing, baitcasters and fixed spools for lure work.

Back