• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review ?

Right I may be being thick but I bought a breakaway cannon trigger few years back and don’t get it ??‍♀️Looked on YouTube for a vid to show how to use but chouldnt find anything useful can one of you beys explain to me in laymen’s terms how these things work as I feel like I’m missing a trick ere ??
Think I’ll watch those vids too! I’ve got one for when I do use my FS rod but my problem seems to be the leader slips on the capstan even with two wraps.
It did work okay for a couple of trips then that started happening and I pretty much gave up using it.

Think I’ll watch those vids too! I’ve got one for when I do use my FS rod but my problem seems to be the leader slips on the capstan even with two wraps.
It did work okay for a couple of trips then that started happening and I pretty much gave up using it.
Like I said, I've got two and they both work great. Helps with casting distance too. Have a look at those vids and make sure you have it fitted in the right spot! ??

Like I said, I've got two and they both work great. Helps with casting distance too. Have a look at those vids and make sure you have it fitted in the right spot! ??
Cheers mate. Yes I did watch a vid once before and it looked about right, but need to look into it further I think.
Couldn’t really figure why it kept slipping...

Cheers mate. Yes I did watch a vid once before and it looked about right, but need to look into it further I think.
Couldn’t really figure why it kept slipping...
You haven't still got Vaseline or Baby Oil on your fingers from earlier "chores"? ??

You haven't still got Vaseline or Baby Oil on your fingers from earlier "chores"? ??
Haha, not on those occasions.

I persisted with it for a full trip then tried retaping as it was a bit loose, but made no difference at all.

It may well be in the wrong place but the mate I bought the rod from didn’t have any issues.
Different reel maybe?

I persisted with it for a full trip then tried retaping as it was a bit loose, but made no difference at all.

It may well be in the wrong place but the mate I bought the rod from didn’t have any issues.
Different reel maybe?
You still useing thAt shitty rod I gave you f

You still useing thAt shitty rod I gave you f
Hi mate, yes still got that, thank you, but not been back to Chesil to try it again yet.

Let me know when/if you’d like it back? ?

The cannon is on a Penn. Um, Rampage maybe? Bloody big long thing anyway.

Hi mate, yes still got that, thank you, but not been back to Chesil to try it again yet.

Let me know when/if you’d like it back? ?

The cannon is on a Penn. Um, Rampage maybe? Bloody big long thing anyway.
Nah bud you keep it or pass it on to someone starting out good first step rod I’m trying to get to grips with these gbfs need to bend em A bit more me thinks ?

Nah bud you keep it or pass it on to someone starting out good first step rod I’m trying to get to grips with these gbfs need to bend em A bit more me thinks ?
Wow, cheers mate, appreciate that! Thank you ?

Don’t forget I’ve got a reel too! ?

I still want to give the conti method a proper crack, didn’t actually go Chesil as much last year as I’d planned to.

Yes, I’m having a similar issue with my TTSM ???

Different reel maybe?
The reel model shouldn't make any difference as long as the 'capstan' (as you call it!) of the Cannon is above the reel spool. Most folks mount the cannon directly above the Spool, but I have seen a few videos recently where folks have said it is better off to the side. Everyone to their own I suppose! Another guy here - Scuba Chris in Hawaii is an Okuma Ambassador and he swears by the Breakaway cannon!

The reel model shouldn't make any difference as long as the 'capstan' (as you call it!) of the Cannon is above the reel spool. Most folks mount the cannon directly above the Spool, but I have seen a few videos recently where folks have said it is better off to the side. Everyone to their own I suppose! Another guy here - Scuba Chris in Hawaii is an Okuma Ambassador and he swears by the Breakaway cannon!
I suspect something about mine isn’t set up correctly. I don’t have any real experience with them.
I’ll have a look through the videos when I’ve got the reel on the rod butt so I can get a proper comparison.

Is it not a capstan? I thought that was the right word ?

The odd thing is, it worked fine for about one and a half trips, then I began having problems.
I thought it was a revelation at first and then it was quite disheartening when suddenly things seemed not to work, despite nothing being changed.

I suspect something about mine isn’t set up correctly. I don’t have any real experience with them.
I’ll have a look through the videos when I’ve got the reel on the rod butt so I can get a proper comparison.

Is it not a capstan? I thought that was the right word ?

The odd thing is, it worked fine for about one and a half trips, then I began having problems.
I thought it was a revelation at first and then it was quite disheartening when suddenly things seemed not to work, despite nothing being changed.
There is quite a steep taper on my Conti rod from the reel seat down to the blank where the cannon needs to be, so I had to pack mine out a little, and I wasn't too happy about using plastic tape to secure it, so used cable ties. Other than that, not a problem. I suppose I should say, because I don't get out fishing often, it's not been used much, but the cannons have been on my rods for 2-3 years.
Perhaps when you get 5mins, as you said, put the reel on the rod and post a photo.

Back