• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West 2.13 the magic number

bananas

Reaction score
Finally managed to get a couple trips in now the rains and winds had died off. 1st was down Salcombe estuary, nice sunny day there, but not much fish activity, the water was still being pushed in fast with lumps a weed being a pain, didn't have a bite on the couple hours down or couple up, but as the tide got in to flooding a bit more I had a small tap tap, struck in and was still just light, like nowt was there, same on retrieve, but as the trace came within a couple a foot of the shore it started to move down stream with a bit a speed, I guessed it was going to be a schoolie but was surprised when a bigger lump came out, lightly lip hooked too.
IMG_20221109_124257.jpg
He went 20inches and 2.13lb and got a tap on his head for his troubles, not much else happened bar a proper schoolie on last cast, tho did have a bit of excitement when I nipped off to relieve me self behind some rocks, I spooked a Buzzard that was perched on the rock I was going to use, as he flew off he had a Crow in his claws, ive never seen that before, a bit before there had been a big commotion in the trees from several Crows, guess they was objecting to the Buzzard eating one of their mates!
2nd trip was yesterday up the channel, met up with Martyn(rockmarks) at Brean, who had been there at low water trying to find where the sea had gone too!.
I got my gear all set up and was waiting for the fast-approaching tide as we was treated to a lovely Somerset sunset.
IMG_20221112_164850.jpg
With the tide at our feet, baits was out and we started the many walk backs needed to get in a tad deeper water. Nothing happened for the first couple of hours, then Martyn came over to ask if I had yellow line on my trace as he just pulled one in and yep was mine, so as I got to where he was fishing to look at our tangle he then says" oh I had this ray as well" "I hope that was on my trace" I said but it wasn't so well done to him, wasn't big only around 3lb, he went and popped it back as I untangle our gear.
I finally got a bite with a hour to high, and felt it a little heavy on the way in, praying for it to be a ray, I felt a bit gutted when a huge gob came through the surf and the gob was attached to a Cod.
IMG_20221112_192922.jpg
A quick pic and weigh and he went the same as the previous Bass, 2.13lb!!, he got a tap on the nut too.
I then managed to miss a lovely pulldown bite, struck to soon and a bit later after a few small taps on the tip I pulled in a very mangled trace with the hooks bit off. As the tide started ebbing, I clipped a small 1 hook rig with the last of the soggy rag I had on and he produced a Whiting for me.
With the tide far out after only 3/4 hour ebbing we packed up. At the cars we chatted to some guys that was next to us and they had the same fish as we did, so was good to know there was some fish about there.
So 2.13 a magic number?, worth popping on a lotto ticket I wonder :unsure: :unsure: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top report & photos as always Bob! Nice brace of Fish for the table! 😋😋🎣🎣👍👍

Back