• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast 2024 round 2.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My van still had all my kit in it from my first trip this year, including my fishy cloth, yuk! The bed was still made and the front double seat positioned fore and aft, to both allow me to get into the back of the van, without getting out, and give me somewhere to put my tackle box. On the journey to West Bay, I had to brake quite hard at one point and knew something had moved in the back. It turned out to be my kettle and now my bedding is wet!

This was to be my second fishing session and mini adventure this year. As l say, if l go fishing, it is just that, if l have a night in the van and then go somewhere else, its then a mini adventure.

Fishing intelligence (Haddock) was telling me that West Bay was well stocked with rockling and pout! l have not had any rockling for a couple of years, so best to try for them whilst they are there. West Bay, at around 4pm, was looking amazing. As you looked along the cliffs, you could see the recent cliff falls.
20240115_155236.jpg
I set up my usual 9ft spinning rods and latest rigs of drop shot stand off loops, with fine size 6 hooks baited with bits of fresh rag worm. Nothing much happened until after sunset, which was being enjoyed by a couple on the West side pier. The time was not wasted though as there were a couple of lads fishing there for the first time and it was good to help them out and have a chat with them. Haddock trundled up and asked what l had caught, when told nothing, he made the most of it, as fully expected and deserved, to berate me! Always fun.
20240115_214203.jpg
First fish in for me, after Haddock had already had a few fish, was a rockling and looking at its barbels and colouring a shore rockling. That is one target done and number 7 species.
20240115_171251.jpg
Next up, after a few pout and having to work at getting it out of the rocks, was another rockling. This time a five bearded one, so that was both of my main target fish under my belt. Species 8. The rest of the session was more pout and more rockling, to the point where l reckon l caught more rockling, that all the ones l have ever caught previously combined!
20240115_175629.jpg
Again more pout and then a whiting which is ok as l need one, then hang on, its not a whiting it was a pollack, so a bit unexpected. Species 9.
20240118_153331.jpg
Decided to call it a night early, as l wanted to drive to Portland for the night and the chip shop closes at 9.30! Got my jumbo battered sausage and chips, as it was so good last time, and drove to my spot on Portand for the night. Enjoyed the food and the van was nice and warm after the drive, but still the thorny issue of sleeping in wet bedding in minus temperatures. I had a spare sleeping bag, so with a bit of a re-shuffle, l had a comfortable night. I woke up at 8.30, so a very good nights sleep, even though the van was well iced over and the radio reporting temps down as far as -8 degrees in places.
20240116_092236.jpg
Turned on the vans heater, took my sunrise pictures and set off to Nothe Fort car park in Weymouth. Had a toastie and made my flask up, then down to the stone pier. What a difference. Last time the water coming out of the harbour was brown with run off after the floods. This time the water clarity on the sea side was crystal clear.
20240116_095130.jpg
Another beautiful day and and a mostly deserted pier.
20240116_133805.jpg
l worked my way round the pier catching loads of corkwing and ballan wrasse and pout, plus another shore rockling.
20240116_123558.jpg
I did manage to get a shanny, so that took me to 10 species so far this year.
20240116_100944.jpg
Another productive mini adventure and home in time for a nap on the settee before tea and after hanging my bedding round the heaters to dry it out.

Good luck if you are out.

Great report Goatee, as usual. Nice haul of fish, and lovely pics too mate.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Lovely stuff. With that water clarity did you see any fish taking the bait?
Yes mate, mainly on the harbour side where it was actually darker, but more fish in the rocks. I could see "the shapes" I wanted, but the wrasse are less hesitant and kept beating them to the bait. Interesting to see some fish hit and go and some take the bait away from the drop zone to deal with it. Both without getting hooked!

You certainly put the hours in Goatee, fair play to you mate.. 🎣

Ian.

Back