• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast 24 hrs on chisel

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
as the name suggests yestaday and today we fished our club 24 hr comp it’s a rover so you can fish were you like most opting for chisel cause of the amount of species it chucks up and this year I’m lying second plaice only 50 percent off the leader a 70 yr old who between him and his mate have one this comp every year for the last 20 odd years and the main reason for this is Experience they have fished every gain of sand every pebble every rock mark jetty pier and beach in every sort of weather imaginable for the last 50 yrs and he can read chisel like the back of his hand so yeah you chould say I was up against it . AnywAy one of the reasons I’ve been doing so well Is every comp I make a game plan be it rigs marks or tactics it’s been paying off and today was know differt so me and my two mates made a game plan hit ferrybrige walk 500 yards past the sanctuary target bream gurnard red and tubs macs gar and scad pout and wotever else is about arfter high then get to cogden sole and dogs in dark plaice in daylight simple I recon I the neede 600 points to bother the leader if I get the species I’ve got a chance . Reports all week had been great bags of bream and cod along with red mullet triggers and gurnard everything was perfect except one thing a eastly wind the death of fishing on most south coast venues ?. we arrived to a sunny but not uncomfortable heat due to the wind and made our way west carrying enough food and water tackle and bait to see us thru along with 6 kilos of chum I preped the day before . The walk was hard and good in one hand chum in the other with 3 rods tripod and shelter strapped on top of my box pack 40 mins later we arrived fyi where have the bloody planks from the bird sanctuary gone ?. Arfter getting there I chucked out a set of baited feathers out to see if I chould find a gurnard or similar but nothing doing I then spent 2 hrs trying to find a a bream and managed one sizeable but they weren’t in the numbers they have been this week.
Spiders where a pain lost snoods and a few snagged thru out the day . I the. Started chuming and instantly mullet swirls appeared before us but try as I may I chouldnt catch one strangely the slick I created chould probably be see. From space but I saw absulety no sign of gar where are they ?. After that failed attempt I concentrated on bream an gurnard I managed 2 decent reds at distance on the bragnell bar rig so my points where starting to build my mates orso managed a couple of bream each as dusk approached i preped my scad rigs and bagged up on macs the biggest being 4 oz short of specimen at 1 lb 1 good stuff then right on dark both my rods bent over and I landed 3 sizeable scad as quickly as they arrived they were gone . Night fell and I sent out peeler after big pout or bonus hound a bite on my crab rig looked pouty but as I lifted it something on the other end screemd off towards Portland wot ever this was fought like fuck as I managed to gain on it the fight intensified but sadly near the shore it let go ?but with wait still on there I dragged up a sorry looking pout it was a grab and run the suspect I’ll never know ( I still weighed that pout in as sizeable ) another pout and a poorcod orso added to my now growing catch list . I put out a bass rig and wire trace for 3/4 of z as n hr to no avail . We then had a group meeting do we stay and try for more bream st first light or head to cogden as originally planned we stuck to the plan and made are way back to the van loaded up with coffe and and food and made the drive to coggers perfectly timed to coincide with the start of the flood on the way there my my heart was telling me to head to abbo to find some dogs but my head said stick to them plan we got on the beach around 2ish and my first cast on the sole rig produced a good bite chould it be on retrieval a flat looking fish emeraged from the depths but on inspection it turned out to be a bone sizeable plaice ?we fished on not the lads landing small se rays one mates the size of his hand the other a better 2 lb odd fish but to small for points I caught a few pout small tubs and straps but nothing to help my score at day break the water erupted with macs smashing the ever preset whitebait shoals I thought about trying for a bigger one but resisted and concentrated on plaice and within the hr I landed two just big enough to weigh in we stayed till 8 trying for a bigger plaice but orso seeing if I chould find a sizeable tub but it wasn’t to be . Tierd we made our way back up the hill and drove back to the weigh in I had 12 fish on the bored so a good score . Amusingly on the way to ferrybrige in the morning in a covey of cars and vans the two old boys tuned off to burton an interesting choice we thought ?but it was a ploy they just went to get an ice cream ? and tris us off the sent of there true mark lol . So back at the weigh in myself and the old boy got into it straight away swapping each other’s cards to cheak he orso had 12 fish but he had two decent dogs plus a goid bream and huge scad he done me by150 percent I was well beaten but finished 2 nd over all were did they fish I asked the Masonic crapark far end of ferrybrige to get away from the eastly wind experience one the day ??????I really good long session plenty of fish but chould have been better hit most of my targets if only I had my dogs to back it up I can’t fish the next one so more dropped points I’ll struggle to beat him this year but will now fight it out for 2 nd with another mate of mine be good banter that sorry for lack of pics but I was fishing hard and nothing else cheers if your still with me D40B690F-9A46-45B0-BB95-3527687B64CD.jpegA3DCA99B-BD79-4D19-8209-B16E3DFC518D.jpeg28E6FFD0-4906-4503-A7A8-493AB64CD631.jpeg

Brilliant report & nice photos Tats, especially the Red Gurnard! Seems like you were up against some top competition with the Old Guy, so I think you did bloody well to come 2nd. ????

Good effort mate, fantastic pics. (y)

Ian.

Good write up mate.My heart goes out to you with the effort you put in.Shame you didn't quite get the result you wanted you deserved it.
Had them off Chesil near the wreck of Royal Adelaide just west of Chesil Cove.Over the bank near Masonic Car Park think I walked to the west.
Did try to put you on the area near the Masonic car park.But then would you have caught what you did.Who knows.

Great effort and a nice write up. I was a bit west of Ferrybridge and I can concur those mullet were impossible to tempt! Some mackerel guts on about 5lb flouro under a float would be best I reckon? Maybe a little early for gars....

Well done Paul long session plenty of fish should have fished where I did and got a trigger and a red mullet . Never mind
Maybe jhon but you landed 3 fish I needed quantity that’s why I used you as a recce altho you had brilliant fish the numbers weren’t there that’s why I headed wear I did mate

Great effort and a nice write up. I was a bit west of Ferrybridge and I can concur those mullet were impossible to tempt! Some mackerel guts on about 5lb flouro under a float would be best I reckon? Maybe a little early for gars....
Used to smash gars out regularly in august in the past but gone missing last two years yep those mullet pissed me off ??

Good write up mate.My heart goes out to you with the effort you put in.Shame you didn't quite get the result you wanted you deserved it.

Did try to put you on the area near the Masonic car park.But then would you have caught what you did.Who knows.
Like I said had a plan had to stick to it bey ??

Back