• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

5000 FS reel

Redneck Dek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any suggestions?
Mostly for bait fishing and not too heavy to go with a 150g rated rod.
Price about £100 mark?🤔

Any suggestions?
Mostly for bait fishing and not too heavy to go with a 150g rated rod.
Price about £100 mark?🤔
Sounds expensive Dek :unsure:

4 main choices I would say Dek - Shimano, Daiwa, Penn or Okuma. No experience of Penn or Daiwa F/S reels, but have a few Shimanos and an Okuma reel that I use for my 150gm Bass Rod. There's a few suggestions below:

Shimano Sahara FJ C5000 ÂŁ68.95:

Most of the Shimano Reels around that price are mainly Freshwater, but if you want a Sea rated reel, you're looking at a Sedona at ÂŁ118.44:

Okuma reels tend to be a bit cheaper in price but I rate their quality quite highly. Both reels are saltwater rated.
Okuma Solaris ÂŁ32.99:

Or a bit higher in price is the 'JAW 55' which is listed as a 5000 size reel, ÂŁ42.99:

Bit of food for thought (FOOD Dek!!) - I daresay some of the other lads will have more suggestions! :D :D :D

From the specs,the ninja holds roughly 200 yds of 10lb mono but the bg holds 300yds so slighty bigger
I’m liking the bg and it’ll have braid on but have a spare spool with the ninja for float fishing which you don’t get with a bg not that it matters as bait fishing.

Looks a bit big?🤔

You had a look at the penn spinfishers?
I have a 4500 live liner, I use it for most of the boat fishing we do and all my lighter shore work (up to 4oz, have cast 5oz a few times and it didn't struggle).
Great reel, amazingly smooth, quick drag and holds about 300yds of 35lb braid with a long 30lb leader.

My only gripe is the handle was really short so difficult to reel in (possibly better for lure work?). Seems a common issue with them though from what other have said.
I just got an different handle and made it fit, possibly my favourite reel now!

You had a look at the penn spinfishers?
I have a 4500 live liner, I use it for most of the boat fishing we do and all my lighter shore work (up to 4oz, have cast 5oz a few times and it didn't struggle).
Great reel, amazingly smooth, quick drag and holds about 300yds of 35lb braid with a long 30lb leader.

My only gripe is the handle was really short so difficult to reel in (possibly better for lure work?). Seems a common issue with them though from what other have said.
I just got a different handle and made it fit, possibly my favourite reel now!
I have lad👍good reels,I’ve got a 6500 spinfisher and a great bit of kit.Bloody heavy tho!
I have a Battle 2 7000 and nowhere near as strong🙄

Yeah, they are good reels. I'm abit gutted I didn't go for the bigger sized spinfishers before I got my big reels, especially after my experience with the little 4500 one.

The daiwa bg you mentioned above would definitely be a good shout from what I've read about them, never used one myself though. They seem to be one of the few reels that you don't really hear any problems with.

Probably the best 5000 size reel there is.
daiwa-tournament-S-5000t-gold.jpg

Back