• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A beach too far?

Quite right mate, on the south east, if I’m fishing over 150yrds from my car and/or have to cross a shingle bank, that’s proper hardcore! ??? in fact a walk over 3min from car park to waters edge and it’s a dealbreaker!
Feck me, you wouldn’t have like it last night then lol

Sounds like a lot of work and pain for very little reward. Sorry to read that

Sounds like a lot of work and pain for very little reward. Sorry to read that
It was really. Whiting was really the target so I proved to myself you can catch those there, to a respectable size, though obviously I want bigger than 14oz!

Unfortunately so many of our marks on this coast are four hour window spots, high or low, due to the huge tidal range.
In most cases it’s not possible to continue on beyond that, either because you’ve run out of water or you’re about to get cut off.
And a lot need a hike or a climb to get to as well.

I still think that bay has got more potential than I’ve seen, but equally I need to weigh that against the effort involved.

Oh, some club members did chesil for the comp instead and had some cracking whiting up to 2lb 2, which won it.

In hindsight I should maybe have done that, but with fuel prices as they are I’m a bit reluctant to splash out on a four hour around trip at the moment…

Am the same, can't fish the marks I used to!!!! Well I could if i.wanted to ski down on my ass's!!! Toewrag where are you?!!
Good question - where is the old Toerag? ????

Nice effort Mr Feesh! At least you hauled a few Fishys in, though I do think you ought to be a little more careful until they sort your ailments out. Last thing we want is reports of "Air Sea rescue landed on North Devon beach". ??

Nice effort Mr Feesh! At least you hauled a few Fishys in, though I do think you ought to be a little more careful until they sort your ailments out. Last thing we want is reports of "Air Sea rescue landed on North Devon beach". ??
Yep you’re right, I think I need to consider a bit more what I can do, especially on days when things aren’t 100% anyway.

But I’m stubborn and don’t want to let the thing beat me.
But also need to be realistic I think…

Yep you’re right, I think I need to consider a bit more what I can do, especially on days when things aren’t 100% anyway.

But I’m stubborn and don’t want to let the thing beat me.
But also need to be realistic I think…
I'm a bit the same. Turned up at a mark that I knew well from my younger days to meet John back in the summer. There's a fairly steep 300m tarmac path down to the shore, so off I goes, down the path, then down a few steps and across the shore. Great few hours fishing, time to pack up, and John kindly carried my box back across the sand whilst I carried rods, tripod etc. Trying to get back up those steps and then back up the slope to the car park nearly did me in. Thought I was going to have to phone for help. Won't be fishing there again.

He caught the "can't be.assed to.stand on a rock". desease off me!!! The older you get the more susceptible you become to it!!!
I quite like the "standing on a rock" bit - it's getting to and getting back from the rock that's beaten me!

I'm a bit the same. Turned up at a mark that I knew well from my younger days to meet John back in the summer. There's a fairly steep 300m tarmac path down to the shore, so off I goes, down the path, then down a few steps and across the shore. Great few hours fishing, time to pack up, and John kindly carried my box back across the sand whilst I carried rods, tripod etc. Trying to get back up those steps and then back up the slope to the car park nearly did me in. Thought I was going to have to phone for help. Won't be fishing there again.
Ouch. I’m not quite that bad yet but Saturday was a bit too much.
That wasn’t the easiest mark to scramble around to even when I didn’t have any issues.

Back