• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A belting session on the upper Bristol Channel.

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Took my nephew out to see if I could help him get a decent sole. Perfect weather conditions and excellent tides, hope was really high. After a long hot walk to the mark, we found the path totally overgrown with brambles, so after a bit of gardening we pushed on through down into the mud. The fishing was slow to start with, but then a cracking bite produced a double shot of sole to my nephew, 2lb8oz and 1lb4oz. Then both of my rods dropped slack, a sole on each 2lb2oz and 2lb1oz. An absolutly manic hour followed where we landed another 6 sole before we had to make a dash for it to avoid being cut off. In total 10 sole landed, 6 of which were 2lb or over. Sadly most were deep hooked but they will make a few cracking meals. Got back to the car after a near 10 mile round trip, sun burnt, dripping in sweat, covered in mud, but certainly one of those sessions to remember.

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_151305.jpg
    IMG_20230528_151305.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230528_150802.jpg
    IMG_20230528_150802.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230528_130854.jpg
    IMG_20230528_130854.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230528_151047.jpg
    IMG_20230528_151047.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 69
Great session and bag of Flatties mate, nice one. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report, lovely photos, and a nice haul of Sole Squiddy - well done to you & your lad. 🎣🎣👍👍

Just a simple 2 hook flapper, size 1 hooks, longish hook links. Lead not important, just used a 5oz breakaway but didn't set the grips. Bait is 2 king rag on each hook link, fished back to back. Distance around 15 to 30 yards, as the tide pushed in baits were wound back to ensure they were always short range.

Just a simple 2 hook flapper, size 1 hooks, longish hook links. Lead not important, just used a 5oz breakaway but didn't set the grips. Bait is 2 king rag on each hook link, fished back to back. Distance around 15 to 30 yards, as the tide pushed in baits were wound back to ensure they were always short range.
A longish hook link to me is about 12 inches.. would that be about right..?

Took my nephew out to see if I could help him get a decent sole. Perfect weather conditions and excellent tides, hope was really high. After a long hot walk to the mark, we found the path totally overgrown with brambles, so after a bit of gardening we pushed on through down into the mud. The fishing was slow to start with, but then a cracking bite produced a double shot of sole to my nephew, 2lb8oz and 1lb4oz. Then both of my rods dropped slack, a sole on each 2lb2oz and 2lb1oz. An absolutly manic hour followed where we landed another 6 sole before we had to make a dash for it to avoid being cut off. In total 10 sole landed, 6 of which were 2lb or over. Sadly most were deep hooked but they will make a few cracking meals. Got back to the car after a near 10 mile round trip, sun burnt, dripping in sweat, covered in mud, but certainly one of those sessions to remember.
Brilliant!! The spotty ones maybe known as sandsoles?

Back