• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East A cost saving experiment

Jimmyfloydreturns

Reaction score
I’ve had a few trips to Dungeness this Autumn and they’ve not been great, loads of pin whiting and nothing decent. I always dig my own bait to reduce costs but even so the petrol needed for the 100 mile round trip to catch pins left a sour taste…

So last weekend I decided to stay local and after a drive to dig some bait I headed home and walked to my spot. Beautiful calm day and it was a fish a cast, not even time for a cuppa.

First off a nice little doggie:

D28E2C46-DFD3-47FC-A5AA-FBB6AA7068F6.jpeg

Lots of whiting, including plenty of sizeable for the plate:

203E12E5-EE8C-4AB9-92B8-6E0FA4960300.jpeg

And then finished up the 2 hour session with a couple of schoolies:

78C1815E-FEED-4DA0-861C-6A2F90A08E76.jpeg

All in all a terrific little local session on the swale making the most of the glorious weather and some fresh fish for dinner.

4080C2C5-B787-45A3-8A35-954FAE0E4EEA.jpeg

1F60136A-9658-49C5-BDB9-BBC5DF55C70F.jpeg

Anyway onto the experiment - this session only cost me petrol money for a short trip to dig the bait (plus a bad back… ) so instead of throwing all the belly offcuts from the whiting prep I kept them and will try those for bait!

I don’t think they’ll have the scent of a juicy blow log or lump of oily fish, but I’m fairly sure that whiting will have no qualms over cannibalism and I might catch a few more - truly free fishing!

What do you think, am I mad 😁

Robert.

Nice . Iv used whiting for whiting before and it does work but is defo a bit slower than worm and squid baits .
Liver for 80p has caught me all those species above and is pretty tough stuff stays on well.

Sad to say, the "Ness" is not even as much as a shadow of its former self.
Generally speaking yes. I did have a session this autumn when I had 40 schoolies up to 42cm in a couple of hours and could easily have taken 100+, but moved on to try to find a decent specimen.
But that’s a rarity.

Nice one, kept you busy, fish for the pan and money saved. Can't be bad. Blood fresh they are great for huss, often out fishing anything else, small flappers are good for straps as well. I've had a few thornback as well but always fresh out. never frozen.

Great report & photos Robert, and no, you're not going mad! Can't beat a bit of Fishy recycling for bait! 🎣🎣👍👍

I have never had any luck using fresh collected mussels.

Back