• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia A couple of reports

Craig

Reaction score
Morning all, had a few sessions over the last few days, not the greatest of results though.

First off was Wednesday, had arranged to meet a couple of mates at sizewell again to see if there were any bass about, not something I usually fish for but they have great success fishing for them there so figured it was worth a go. Plus I'd got a new rod to try, a little 10' Shakespeare Agility 2 MPV 2-4oz.
Arranged to meet at 10.45 on the carpark but road closures and big tractors put a small spanner in the works and I managed to arrive nearly half an hour late! Finally got there and got set up in my usual spot, wind was blowing well and had a good bite to it with the onshore breeze, this also created a little swell and some chop on the water, but was bright and sunny none the less. Rods today we're the new Shakespeare and my little 20-50g spinning rod. Single hook clipped running ledger rigs with size 1 and 1/0 hooks. Bait was fresh lug and a couple of salted rag.
I got my rods in the water with fresh lug baits and then sat back and waited for the expected flood of dabs and whiting..... How surprised was I to find it take nearly an hour to even get a bite! Totally different story to the last session two weeks ago.
First up was the usually suspect, a little dab, not much bigger than my hand (seems to be the average size at the minute) followed by a few more, then out of no where, a proper bite, like the rod actually moved more than an inch! Finally something abit better.... Well, a small bass was definitely better than palm sized dabs but sadly still not a keeper by a long shot. This was the highlight of the day for me, an undersized bass on the new rod. The rest of the day was just tiny dabs and a rouge whiting.
The others had similar results, I think we all had one bass each, one whiting each and a few dabs each. Was alot slower than we expected and we decided at 5pm to call it a day and head home, with two of us still having half a pound of worms each left for the next day.

DSC_5848.JPG
DSC_5851.JPG

Thursday saw two of us from the previous day hatch a plan to try down at Bawdsey on the ebb as we both had bait from the day before and plenty of bits in the freezer to try for some rays.
My dad decided to join us today aswell as he would be home at 2.30pm and hasn't fished this year yet so couldn't wait to get out on the beach.
We arrived around 4pm to find my mate already setup and hauling the whiting in, plus a good chop on the water and a stiff ne breeze again. It was a nice afternoon though with blue sky and sunshine so wasn't exactly freezing when you could get behind the shelter for a break from the wind.
I had the same setup as the day before, but with the addition of some bluey, squid and sandeels for bait.
Second cast I was into a little whiting close in, and this is about as good as it got. We fished on til bout 7.30pm with only a handful or skinny undersized whiting each to show for out efforts, caught at range and close in on a variety of baits.
We were hoping for some rays after reports of them making regular appearances around there recently, plus it's my usual banker mark for them, but they decided not to make an appearance for us today sadly.
Was still nice to get out for a few hours again even if the fishing still isn't great. We all enjoyed the afternoon out and that's all that mattered.
The wind did die down about 15 mins before we packed up and it went from a stiff breeze to absolutely nothing! Was a lovely evening after that for all of 15mins while we packed up.
Was a lovely sunset when we got back to the van at the quay too. Just wish I could take a good picture of it.

Was a nice couple of sessions over two days, a shame the fish weren't of any size or numbers and the weather was still abit chilly, but enjoyable none the less to get out with mates and be on the beach.

DSC_5865.JPGDSC_5867.JPGDSC_5870.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_5849.JPG
    DSC_5849.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
Nice report & great photos Craig! Christened that new rod! ??

Back