• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia A day of gifts

Sole intentions

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Couldn't resist having a first session for 3 months while this warm snap is occurring.

Raided the freezer and found a pack of black lug that Scott gifted me last summer and set off to the estuary armed with one rod and a bucket of bits. Didn't really expect to catch anything as the water is still freezing but hoped for a Flounder.

Started about 40 minutes before sunset and was treated to Starling murmerations, umpteen species of waders, Lapwings, both Canada and Pink Footed Geese, Teal, Mallard, Widgeon and Shelduck. Plus, a flock of one of my favourite birds the Curlew, which is sadly gravely endangered, so a real treat to witness at least 150 currently wintering on the mud. Rarest sighting of the day was a Great Egret, just like a White Egret but bigger. The RSPB websites cites the following....

What they eat:
Fish, insects and frogs, caught by spearing with its long, sharp beak.

Population:
UK wintering: 35 birds

So consequently I felt extremely privileged to see one of these.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to be fishing!

Baits remained almost bizarrely untouched, I say that as every time I've fished there previously its alive with crabs but clearly they were still hibernating, just like the fish.

Darkness fell, moon shone bright, my headlight was useful but not essential. It got cold and so to last cast. Blimey a rattle on the tip of the Carp rod, or did I dream it? Left it a couple of minutes but no more action and when I retrieved the bait was untouched. My curiosity was however raised and I decided to have one more cast. 15 further minutes of simply getting colder and the tip rattles again in a flatfishie manner. I twitch the bait but nothing, count to 100 and reel in, hello feels a bit more weight than from the usual 2 ounce lead and so it proved to be, as a perfect little February Fat Freddy Flounder was swung to hand, posed for the camera and then released to grow bigger.

I walked the 15 minutes back to the car under the moonlight with my feet getting slightly warmer with every step. Found myself thinking, it was a good idea to go fishing. When I was then treated to a fly-by from a Short Eared Owl who came within about 20 feet of me, he/she looked me in the eye and simply carried on their hunt and that was the final gift.

IMG_20210224_195415.jpg

Nice report chap, we’ve got a great egret here, been hanging round on a Reed bed on the other side of the road, big ol’ units.
Hope your well.

Enjoyed that. Always think I should know more about the birds. That patience pays off for the flounder.
The only birds I knew as a teenager, had boobs and used to hang around the youth club and coffee bar.;):ROFLMAO:

Nice report chap, we’ve got a great egret here, been hanging round on a Reed bed on the other side of the road, big ol’ units.
Hope your well.

Hi Chris

Good to hear of another Great Egret.

Yes I'm very well thanks. Having my first Covid jab tomorrow, so that will provide further confidence. Hope all's well with yourself?

Was talking with boi Jeff yesterday regarding having a trip to fish Bacton. Probably OK for him to travel there, as its about the closest point on the coast to where he lives. Whereas for me, it's a 25 mile journey along the coast. Neither of us are convinced the Police would see that as acceptable, so it's not worth the risk.

Enjoyed that. Always think I should know more about the birds. That patience pays off for the flounder.

Thank you boi Goatee, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. ?

Try spotting a new bird every fishing trip and learn a bit about it when you get home, you'll soon know a lot. ?

Lovely report solely thought you’d been a tad quiet look forward to more of yer reports ps you heading west this year at all boi ?

Hi Tat

It's not been worth fishing around here over Winter, even the plague of dreaded Tings thinned out, so that left bugger all!

Would be great to get to the south coast right now and chase the Plaice, but clearly that ain't going to happen.

Would love to get back to the BC at some point. If for no other reason than so that we could have a meet up and show poor @Si-fly how to catch fish. ?

Hi Chris

Good to hear of another Great Egret.

Yes I'm very well thanks. Having my first Covid jab tomorrow, so that will provide further confidence. Hope all's well with yourself?

Was talking with boi Jeff yesterday regarding having a trip to fish Bacton. Probably OK for him to travel there, as its about the closest point on the coast to where he lives. Whereas for me, it's a 25 mile journey along the coast. Neither of us are convinced the Police would see that as acceptable, so it's not worth the risk.
Glad you’re well Alan and the boi Jeff, been meaning to ring him, might do that this evening. Talking of Bacton I’m working there today and so close to the beach I could cast from the customers yard. Won’t be long before we can travel for a fish. Good news on the Jab, had mine a couple of weeks ago.

Glad you’re well Alan and the boi Jeff, been meaning to ring him, might do that this evening. Talking of Bacton I’m working there today and so close to the beach I could cast from the customers yard. Won’t be long before we can travel for a fish. Good news on the Jab, had mine a couple of weeks ago.

Yes give him a call fella, I'm sure he will appreciate that.

Me and boi Jeff still have this theory that we could catch Norfolks first Blonde Ray from the shore from that venue. We know they have been caught on lines 300 yards off the beach at this time of year. However, that is beyond the second bank in deep water. Where we can reach when casting is only over the first bank and in probably in less than half the depth. Still gotta be worth a try. Though possibly not at the risk of an £800 fine! ?

He's a Noddy. We'll show him how it's done boi. ??
Please not the "N" word ?. Illl catch something again one day ?

Great report that bud, enjoyed the read as well ?

Now I shouldn't say this, but I went out after Pike today ?........... Now the interesting thing about this, and keeping with the shite fishing and the bird theme.... I blanked, but like you saw a few birds ?.... Not such rare ones, but the standouts were a rather large buzzard swooping close to my head under some trees, before realising I was there and moving quickly away!... Amazing things up very close. Next I had a kingfisher make a flyby over the floats... And later it came back. Then a pair of lesser spotted woodpeckers landed in the tree opposite.... Not seen any of these for years!
Onto Mk 2 and more kingfisher... Think it was prob the same one, not sure, but it went past about 8 times over the next couple of hours before we gave in.

On the levels, so also had the starlings... Noisy buggers! ?

Hopefully fish will be landed next week ?

Please not the "N" word ?. Illl catch something again one day ?

Great report that bud, enjoyed the read as well ?

Now I shouldn't say this, but I went out after Pike today ?........... Now the interesting thing about this, and keeping with the shite fishing and the bird theme.... I blanked, but like you saw a few birds ?.... Not such rare ones, but the standouts were a rather large buzzard swooping close to my head under some trees, before realising I was there and moving quickly away!... Amazing things up very close. Next I had a kingfisher make a flyby over the floats... And later it came back. Then a pair of lesser spotted woodpeckers landed in the tree opposite.... Not seen any of these for years!
Onto Mk 2 and more kingfisher... Think it was prob the same one, not sure, but it went past about 8 times over the next couple of hours before we gave in.

On the levels, so also had the starlings... Noisy buggers! ?

Hopefully fish will be landed next week ?

Sounds like a rather interesting day Si, with plenty of gifts. I've never been that close to a Buzzard and I can't imagine that many others have either. ?

Kingfishers are always a treat. I can remember fishing on Norfolks River Thurne as a boy of about 8. Was sitting on my fishing box while holding the rod and watching that scarlet tipped peacock quill float, when with a sudden flash of indigo, a Kingfisher sat midway between myself and the rod tip. It simply sat there bobbing it's head while looking at me with a tiny dark eye. It probably stayed for no more than 10 seconds, though it felt like 10 minutes, before in another flash of radiant blue, it was gone. I never realised until that day just how difficult it is to hold a fishing rod perfectly still.

Back