• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A double of December lure firsts.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Having packed in the lures last week following 2 very poor sessions, I was sure I had made the correct decision and I was looking forward to getting back to chasing conger, that was until Kevin3110 planted a seed of doubt in my mind by going and catching a couple of December bass ?. Despite this, and the forecast of light winds blowing less than 10mph, I still I still had no plans to get the lures out again. The final straw though was when I caught sight of the flat calm sea on my way home from work, which was enough to finally convince me to give it just one last try ?.

My theory last week, that the bass would be dropping back now towards the south with the warmer sea temperatures had turned out to be a load of rubbish ?, so my venue chosen this time was further north. Though I’ve caught a few bass there myself further down the tide, I’ve been reliably informed that the mark fishes better over high. This was at 23:15 last night but I couldn’t wait around that long before heading out, so I decided to try a couple of other marks on the way, and by 19:15 I was getting my waders on at the first of these. Unfortunately, despite the light winds the water clarity wasn’t great, so after no more than 15 minutes I decided to head for location 2, where what little breeze there was should be offshore and I hoped for better conditions.

A short drive later, followed by a careful navigation of some slippery weed covered rocks I was at ready to start fishing again and this time, though not perfect, the water clarity was a lot better. With the ground at this spot being gnarly, I started with the shallow diving Swimmish, just to get my confidence up, and over the next 15 minutes, I gradually fished it deeper. By allowing it to sink for longer after splash down I attempted to get my lure down into the snags, where I hoped that the bass would be waiting ready to ambush anything which swam within range. When this didn’t tempt anything I upped the stakes and clipped on the Mishna instead, mounted on a 14g weedless jig-head, which would allow me to get down in the water column much quicker. 20 minutes later and still with no action I decided to try something different again, and next on was the white Wave Worm which I intended to fish right in among the rough stuff. Once again this failed to attract any interest so I decided on a move along the shore to a spot where a finger of rock jutted out into a flow and where I feathered for mackerel in my younger days.

Once again I went through the routine of trying several different lures in an attempt to tantalise anything at all into an attack, just to feel something pulling back for a change but it looked like I was wasting my time ?.

Finally, an hour and 45 minutes before high I moved along the shore further still to another tide run, where yet again I went through the now familiar routine of trying several different lures in a desperate bid to catch something. As they drifted around in the current I slowed the retrieve right down in an effort to get my lures as close as possible to the structure, where I hoped that the bass would be hiding, but the time ticked by with no signs whatsoever of a fish of any description.

As high tide came and went I tried several lures, I fished Mishnas in Lemon Meringue & Sandeel, on a variety of different weighted jig-heads, I tried a couple of different Swimmish along with Wave Worms in white and Watermelon, Albie Snax in Pearl and Bubblgum and finally I even tried the killer lures, the Candy SF125 and the Patch II in Nacre, but no matter what I did the bass remained elusive to the end ?.

Ultimately I was losing the will to live and I could take no more, so as midnight arrived I called it a night. I know I said it last week but this time I really mean it, after achieving the double of fishing my first lure session in December and achieving my first December lure blank, which makes it 12 hours of fishing in the last 3 weeks, without so much as a bump, I’m finally done until next year.

Great read as ever Andy, shame you didn't get that December bass.
Looking forward to your quest for that elusive conger though, there's a 20lb+ there waiting for you somewhere. Good luck!

Back