• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A few fish... But slow.

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all. I've not been out much lately as it was pretty quiet locally with just the odd better fish showing.
I did do a couple of short trips for a few rays and straps. IMG_20211020_164137~2_resize_64.jpg

I then joined a mate over Minehead way for a huss.
We arrived, and first cast the rod screamed off..... That's what I love about fishing.... Just never know when the reels will scream ?

After a spirited fight I was very surprised to see a small hound around 6lb.

I slipped it quickly back, and put the same squid bait back out and got the 2nd rod out.

Off went the first rod again!.... Stripping line. Unfortunately this fish soon came off..... I'm guessing another hound, but I'll never know.

Soon after the same rod was off again, a slower bite this time, and the first target fish.... A nice little angry huss ?IMG_20211031_181425~5_resize_46.jpg
Things unfortunately went downhill for me after that, with a few dogs, eel and smaller huss as the tide dropped down to low.
My mate faired better on the huss getting a nice one prob over 10lb, more dogs and small huss as well, before like me it went dead on the flood!

I think we gave it 2 hrs of flood before deciding it was the last 20 mins.

Out of the blue the same rod again began to slowly and steadily peel off line!

It just kept going, so I wound
down and felt a solid weight which stopped and slowly started coming in.
This was a reasonable fish, and unfortunately kept deep finding a line snag half way in ?

I was gutted, I could feel the fish, but could not free it!

Eventually it felt like it had gone and I pulled for a break.

I'm guessing maybe a big huss, ray, or possibly an early spur.... Will never know, but never nice losing good fish.

Next a bit of sun for a week with the misses. I brought a lrf travel rod, but unfortunately all the spots out the wind are no fishing.... What a pain!

I did have a quick dabble for an hour before I saw the sign ?. But so far have not risked another go ?

Had a few small pretty fish ?IMG_20211105_113401~2_resize_1.jpgIMG_20211105_112941~2_resize_33.jpgIMG_20211105_112041~2_resize_25.jpg

Cheers all ?

As always Si, great report & photos! Begs the question which are you best at - Fishing or Photography? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't think they count John, as I'm a 1000+ miles from the UK ?

Such a shame I can't fish, loads of different species here.... Watched a 3-4ft barracuda swim by 10ft away ?.... Evil looking thing!
I went to the Caribbean a few years ago I was snokling by the pier and there was a big schoal of tiny silver fish and underneath it was a little barracuda waiting to grab one ,

Great report and pics there Si, well done on the catching, them foreign buggers have some stunning colours hope you can get out and catch a few more.

Back