• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A few hours lure fishing

John Mitchell

Reaction score
I met up with nephew Ben and Dirty Squid at a local mark to target bass unfortunately no one told the bass we were coming and the gars turned up instead , it is not easy to catch gars on lures , but I got one a big one which took line several times and gave a really good account of a gar fight . Then I went back to bass lures and didn’t catch anything else , no mackerel were about .Ben couldn’t get a gar to take a lure .?. 57A0069A-F8E4-4FF6-AB83-50426EC51E75.jpeg

Might be an old fishermans tale but I've heard that a few lengths of wool wrapped round the treble and left trailing behind will catch gars. Their teeth get caught in the fibres apparently and can be brought in on the wool instead of the hook. Worth a shot next time they're hitting lures and not hooking up.

Might be an old fishermans tale but I've heard that a few lengths of wool wrapped round the treble and left trailing behind will catch gars. Their teeth get caught in the fibres apparently and can be brought in on the wool instead of the hook. Worth a shot next time they're hitting lures and not hooking up.
That is true a piece of wool or string below the hook catches gar by their teeth , we have done it before on float , the trouble is remembering to bring the string or wool

1/2 or1/4 oz dexters & wind as fast as you can, fish a chuck if they are there. they def like a lure to be moving fast.

It's true, I watched a programme and the old boy wasn't even using hooks. He was flying a lure made from spiders webs he'd collected from bushes along the shore. This was fished under a small kite.

Back