• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West A few hours on the rocks

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fished a local Rock Mark last night for a few hours up to High Water. The rocks lead onto clean sand and I was hoping to snag a small-eyed Ray that frequent the area. Tides were only small and my hopes were not too high. The only baits I had with me were frozen sandeels and squid.
However initial signs were promising as at dusk the tip pulled over a foot or so followed by about four feet of line being pulled off the ratchet. The line from the rod tip was completely slack so I was surprised when I lifted into nothing. The squid bait on a pennel had been mauled.
untitled-6.jpg
I had to wait another hour for the next bite which again was very obvious with a few feet being pulled off the ratchet, but this time as I moved to the rods the tip was still nodding. A fairly solid weight turned into a smallish Huss. Not the target but happy none the less as I could add that to a species hunt I’m doing.
untitled-7.jpg
It turned out to be a very slow night and my only other bite was a sharp 6” tap on the tip followed by nothing. This was my last cast so I left it in the water until I packed up. When I eventually picked up the rod I pulled into a solid weight which had me thinking maybe a ray had been sat on it all this time. No…… a large spider crab to finish the night off. Big enough to eat but I didn’t have my bucket with me and didn’t fancy it sharing accommodation with my reels and rigs etc in the box.
untitled-14.jpg

Great report & photos Mick. Pretty little Huss. I never go fishing without a bucket! 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report & photos Mick. Pretty little Huss. I never go fishing without a bucket! 🎣🎣👍👍
A long walk and climb down and in hindsightwould I really want to be buggering about with a crab when I got home at 2am? Would have given the wife a shock when she opened the fridge in the morning😂

Nice report dodders, great Huss to, and lovely pics as well... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

A long walk and climb down and in hindsightwould I really want to be buggering about with a crab when I got home at 2am? Would have given the wife a shock when she opened the fridge in the morning😂

There was a story backalong (possibly on the Dark side) about a guy who liked to cook Dogfish. He caught one, gutted it, and put it in the fridge overnight. When his wife opened the fridge in the morning, the Dogfish twitched and fell out on top of his Spaniel! 😂😂

Back