• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast A plaice, a plastic bag and a turbot.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have not seen Haddock since my accident and knew he was going to Boscombe Pier Friday trying for a dab. Thought I should get myself motivated to get out and have a catch up. I had some very past their sell by date rag worms and bits of frozen fish in the freezer. So that would have to do.

I arrived an hour before Haddock, and was pleased to find that the car park is still on winter rates at £4.80 for 24 hours or £3.80 if you pay on the app. The pier was pretty empty. Set up my 2 x 10ft flattie rods with 3 hook flappers, size 4 hooks, manky rag on one and gar strips on the other and in a sheltered spot. Seeing as l was the only one fishing. I also set up a light beachcaster, with slightly bigger hooks, baited with half sand eels and sent that out off the end of the pier, some distance away from the other rods. This was to fish itself in the hope of a turbot. All rods bungeed on and fishing by 1.30.

When I got back to the bench by my rods, there was an elderly lady sat there and she asked if she was in my way. I said not at all, and asked her how her day was. She said she had come to see the plaque on the back of the bench, as it was a dedication to her husband and it was the first time she had seen it 6 months after it was put there. We had a chat, which passed the time while the rods stayed motionless!

Haddock turned up and pleasantries were exchanged. He got set up and was first in with a fish. I could see it was flat so looking good for him. Once up over the rail we could see it was a plaice so not his target. The fish was nicely unhooked using forceps through the gills. Easy to do once you have done a few.

It was nice and sunny and warm, so we moved from the sheltered area to the end of the pier where my big rod was. A few people asked us how we were getting on as they do and one guy said I bet you catch something as soon as l leave. He left and I decided on a bait change. Lifted the rod and fish on. There is a kick and a bit of weight. As it comes to the surface we think it is two fish, one being flat. As its coming up the side of the pier, we can see its a plaice and a plastic bag. The bag was giving it the weight on retrieval. Only a small plaice and very nicely marked. The picture details put it at 3.30. so 2 hours in.
20230317_153211.jpg
A big, young guy, with shorts and a Hawain shirt came over (which he realised was a huge mistake later when the sun went behind the clouds and the tempearure plummeted) and asked if we had any scissors to open his pack of sandeels. I said what wrong with your teeth? While we were sorting a pair out for him he tore it open with his teeth and as the sand eel juices started seeping into his mouth, he realised mistake number two! Gave him the scissors to finish the job and had a good laugh with him and his mate for the rest of the time fishing.

On the fishing front, its really quiet with no bites, but its been good getting out in the sun, talking to people, having a laugh and a catch up. I decide to leave at 5 which gives me 30 mins left and means a 3.5 hour session. I do a bait change and Haddock moves back to shelter. Its getting colder as the sun is covered, the wind is freshening and the pier is getting busy with Herberts of all types!

Right time to go. Pack down one 10ft rod. Now, which to bring in next, the other 10ft or the big one? Opted to leave the big one out. Packed up my chair and other stuff into my back pack. Now for the big rod. Picked it up, tightened the line, lifted firmly and, oh there is something on it! It stays deep and does not show until it close to the pier. Its looking good, shape wise. As I am getting ready to wind it up, the length of the rod with the fish on is reminding me to guard my shoulder. Eeeeeekkk! I got it up and over the rail and feel its back for the tubercules. Yep definitely a turbot and my main target for the day with this rod. Absolutely brilliant, made my day and it gets me another species for my stalled species hunt.
20230318_112756.jpg
A good, relatively short session for me and got my target turbot, plus a plaice. Just as good was just being out and having a laugh.

Good luck if you are out.

Brilliant report & photos Goatee, and the bonus of a lovely Turbot for the species hunt! Well done that man! 🎣🎣👍👍

Couple nice fish there Keith well done (y) (y) , lucky it wasn't a Tesco's bag, they really do put a fight up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks Bob. Tha plaice are almost a given there. A few weeks ago a guy had one of 5lb. Absolute monster. Getting the target turbot when packing up was an ace way to end the session. Not had a Tesco bag, but did have a black bin bag once.

That's one stonking orange spot.

Great report and pics GB.

Ian.

Back