• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast A plaice for sole and whiting (battered).

Great report & photos Goatee! That plate of Whiting looks delicious. ????

Never keen on seeing folk deep fat frying in a saucepan though - so many horror stories of fires. Our deep fat fryer was getting a bit tired & grubby this time last year - I'd dismantled & cleaned it a number of times but refused to do it again. Awful mucky job.

I saw a professional chef using one on Youtube, and out of curiosity, tried to find the same one online. It is a Logik and I found one on Curry's eBay store. For £19.99, it was never worth me cleaning the old one! It's only been used about 4 times since though - Wifey's nagging me about my waistline & eating Chips! ??

What’s do you do with the oil? Seems a faff having to take used oil to the recycling centre after each use

What’s do you do with the oil? Seems a faff having to take used oil to the recycling centre after each use
We only cook Chips in ours, so the oil stays clean and only gets changed about every 3-4 months. Because Wifey's got us cutting down on fatty foods, last night was only the 2nd time I've had chips since before Christmas.

Evening session with @cap'nhaddock on Boscombe Pier last night. He is still sore after his mini huss, but more so his lost blonde!

Set up on the pier under cover and by a bench, with the rods 5ft away. No way to dress it up it was a whiting fest and some.

I managed to winkle out a small but perfect plaice and Haddock managed to winkle out a sole. Both new species for our hunts so shouldn't grumble.
View attachment 21093
View attachment 21094
The whiting were coming in 2 at a time and various sizes. Put out a 3 O hook for a ray, but its amazing how small a whiting can take it. Kept 6 of the bigger ones and decided nothing was going to change so we packed up.

So what to do with the whiting? Batter them!

View attachment 21095
They need to be at least 300mm plus to make it worth filleting depending on your skills. The batter has lager in it not water. So just plain flour, salt and black pepper and lager.
View attachment 21096
Dip in batter. Let them drain a bit and into the hot oil. I use a jam thermometer to monitor the oil temp cause l got one.
View attachment 21097

View attachment 21098
Don't waste the little bits of fish or bits that don't cut well. They all taste the same!
View attachment 21101
Whiting is a nice light fish and great when eaten fresh like this.

How to enjoy fishing for whiting!
Well done kieth, a lovely session and delightful treats to enjoy.

Well done mate

P.s. I kept the belly off cuts and bony bits and froze them down and plan to use them as bait. I bet whiting would have no problem scoffing one of their own which would mean no need to dig lug worm ?
I can confirm whiting will eat whiting or at least they do when fishing the shambles bank off Weymouth.
Wast not want not, Conger like whiting head and guts to.
tight lines
Espadon

Hopefully the ting will start thinning out soon giving other species a chance! That plaice is stunning, just like those you see in the artists impression in the old angling books, perfectly marked and fin perfect.
Yep a nice example.

I just cook most fish i get either in the frying pan or in foil in the oven, dont bother with batter, i find them a better taste.
I usually bake my bream, but I did the same with battering the whiting the last couple of years. Probably be an annual thing now.

Great report & photos Goatee! That plate of Whiting looks delicious. ????

Never keen on seeing folk deep fat frying in a saucepan though - so many horror stories of fires. Our deep fat fryer was getting a bit tired & grubby this time last year - I'd dismantled & cleaned it a number of times but refused to do it again. Awful mucky job.

I saw a professional chef using one on Youtube, and out of curiosity, tried to find the same one online. It is a Logik and I found one on Curry's eBay store. For £19.99, it was never worth me cleaning the old one! It's only been used about 4 times since though - Wifey's nagging me about my waistline & eating Chips! ??

I remember all households had a deep fat frier. I remember it being lard as well and waiting for it to melt then get up to temp. The fire risk thing is a consideration and the thermometer gives extra confidence, although the pan overflowing is the biggest risk on the initial drop and fizz!

I usually bake my bream, but I did the same with battering the whiting the last couple of years. Probably be an annual thing now.
Went out with bloke on his boat for bream as never tried them.

A load of bones in them , a bit to much for me,

Hope it wasn't with a cricket bat - just jesting ;)

Back