• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast A quick shanny behind the toilets and other stuff!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have been getting out a bit more in June, and have caught 7 species in a couple of weeks to add to my species hunt, so I should be pleased, I suppose. However its seems really tough going this year. Last year l had the same number of species as l have had so far this year, but in January! Fair enough I was laid up for best part of six weeks after my fall, and lost my mojo a bit, but again is seems really tough going. No 50 to 100 fish sessions searching out elusive minis and l have had a few blanks when chasing rays and smoothies. I feel most fish caught, have been hard won.

I was feeling that this wind will change direction and things will kick in. I was imagining that all the fish not caught would be lining up for us behind some massive dam and when it bursts, we would all be worn out catching them! The reality is more likely that it will just go back to fishing as it does normally for the time of year. That's ok and we have to fish whats in front of us. Anyone else feeling the same?

The beaches have not been good to me, but the piers have. I am a member at Boscombe so have had a couple of late ones there after hours with Haddock, when the security kicks all the Herberts off at 11pm and we have the pier to ourselves or maybe joined by a couple of others. It is a good feeling to have the key for the pier in your pocket and can come and go as you please as long as you are accompanied.

June.

04/06/21 Boscombe. 9pm start so free parking. Loads of Herberts on the end of the pier and lots of chaos as they were chasing (unsuccessfully) mackerel We tucked in away from the end until they thinned out and then come 11, security cleared the pier. Just me and Haddock. Its a good feeling having the pier to ourselves and having a pier key in your pocket. First in for me was a sole. I took a picture with my species card, but later realised l had one in April.
20230618_160813.jpg
With the the vantage point from the pier you could see hundreds of bait fish just milling about as they were not being predated. Not much action until the sole was followed by pout and straps. I was aware of splashing in the other wise still water and then realised that the bait fish are now being chased! Dropped some feathers down and soon had a scad for my hunt. I like the look of scad as they are so shiny and spikey! I was getting double hook ups at top speed, which tried to bend the rod under the pier. I was fishing light with 10ft flattie rods and on those the scad are great sport.
20230618_161009.jpg
Persistence paid off with the feathers and I later landed a mackerel which was another species for my hunt. If I can get one species per session I am happy, so l was pleased with two. Got to bed at 4am as it was getting light again!
20230618_161108.jpg
12/06/23 Boscombe Pier. Again 9pm start. Same drill with Herberts and security. First in was a small plaice so got to practice (again!) removing the hook via the gills.
20230613_094612.jpg
The bait fish were there again and we say the only way to find out what they are, is to catch one. On with the size 16 Sabikis and they are just not interested. Jigging, shivering, lift and drop, the whole nine yards! Then boom, no little pull of a tiny fish, but another rod end bent under the pier as the scad arrived hitting the tiny hooks which managed to hold them. It was great to watch as they fired through the bait fish at top speed under the pier lights. I still don't know what the bait fish are and can only seem to get smashed by scad! I stuck with it, refined my technique and eventually hooked two. Lifted over the rail and one came off and flip, flip, till it made its was back into the water through the gaps in the planks, shit, shit, shit! I held the Sabikis over Haddocks opened tackle box and got hold of him. Quick check with Haddock for confirmation and another species for the hunt, a herring. Again 4pm getting to bed.
20230613_021303.jpg
15/06/23 Swanage Pier. I am friendly with a few of the locals as is Haddock, so we get invited to fish the pier after hours and have the key to lock it up when we leave. I arrived at 4.30pm and parked on the pier. My first target is a shanny and they live behind the toilets around some big rocks. Last time I caught 5 or 6, but each time lifting, they were just sucking on the snippet of worm, so just dropped off each time. This time I had smaller sharper hooks. Flicked the bait to the spot and had a few little knocks straight away. Wait, wait, then lift. I can see its a shanny and I can see it dropping back into the water! Bugger not again! Changed the bait and flicked it back, had a bite, a better bite this time. Its a bigger one and more confident. This one is definitely on, but I held my breath until it was on the pier and safe. This is one of the things with the species hunting, if its one you want and you get it, I am just as happy catching a mini species as something much bigger. I reckon on 3 minutes or so to get it, so a quick shanny behind the toilets and another species for my hunt.
20230616_094423.jpg
There were shoals of bait fish. Some were definitely sand eels with a few bigger launce underneath them. I have never caught a launce. The other shoals were more small fish shaped and again as we say the only way to find out what they are is to catch one. Sabikis on and find that there are baby pollack and welcome as I have not had one this year. I caught lots of them.
20230616_094543.jpg
Next in for me was a ballan wrasse and not one of the pretty ones. A bit later I had a corkwing,
20230616_094740.jpg
The one I really wanted for my hunt, and this is the place to get one, is a baillons wrasse. And get one I did.That gave me 3 species of wrasse and 2 species for my hunt.
20230616_000453.jpg
17/06/23. Hurst Shingle Bank. @DJDBazzer had to change his plans and was heading to the shingle bank as the tide was right for it. He is quite needy (ha, ha) and wanted some company and we have caught some good fish together before, so I felt that I just had to force myself and go!! It was very quiet with just one fish caught. It was a black bream and just what I wanted for my hunt so no complaints!
20230617_141049.jpg
I know reading the above it seems like like have been doing well, and this month and I have and I am enjoying it, but as per the start of this report, there are a lot of hours in there, I have been very late getting to my pit to sleep and all the fish felt very hard won.

I hope to get a few more before the month is out and hope they come a bit easier. If you have any, you can get an xyz at so and so place easily, please let me know!

Good luck if you are out.

Great mixed bag again Goatee, keep it up mate. Nice pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

I know what you mean. You wouldn't believe how many hours I put in to getting a goldsinny.
I tried micro sabikis unsuccessfully for the micro herrings and then caught one by accident on my wrasse rig.
I have failed utterly on the gars, gurnards and dragonets, but hey ho, if we always caught what we wanted it would get terribly boring.

Great report and pictures, but sounds like hard work for a lot of tiddlers- whatever turns you on as the saying goes. Having said that, my efforts haven’t been too well rewarded either, even though I don’t target the minis, some of the species I’ve caught would qualify by default!

Great reports Goatee, and some good photos. Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Just thinking whilst reading your post, It would be a waste of time me trying to do the Species hunt - I don't get out very often, and couldn't identify a lot of the smaller Species for love nor money!

Great reports Goatee, and some good photos. Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Just thinking whilst reading your post, It would be a waste of time me trying to do the Species hunt - I don't get out very often, and couldn't identify a lot of the smaller Species for love nor money!
I was the same. Once l got my bass, whiting, pout, flounder and doggie and a few others, you think what else is there? The lrf winter league boys had over 50 different salt water species in just 4 months. That is dedication! As mentioned l can be just as happy to catch a mini species as a specimen sized fish, and people forget you need the minis and the "big boy fish" to get the numbers up. I normally catch a few specimen sized fish a year. These two were in one session as you may remember. The red mullet was favoured by those that are in the know!
20221112_210325.jpg
20221112_155853.jpg

I know what you mean. You wouldn't believe how many hours I put in to getting a goldsinny.
I tried micro sabikis unsuccessfully for the micro herrings and then caught one by accident on my wrasse rig.
I have failed utterly on the gars, gurnards and dragonets, but hey ho, if we always caught what we wanted it would get terribly boring.
I can echo that with the last 3 fish mentioned!

Back