• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East A rare daytime outing

Action Man

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
Yesterday I had the rare opportunity with a day off from work to actually go and fish in the middle of the day at a sensible hour. Makes a welcome change to coming home past midnight!
I had already got my sights set on my favourite North Kent bass mark as my recent reeky walk to the venue showed not much weed on the beach, and judging by my reports last year it was about now it became fishable again. I was pleased to see we had about 24 hours of moderate onshore winds which made the shallow venue nice and surfy (but also cold). High water was at 1:15pm and I arrived by 10:30 armed with 2 score of very large local lugworm.

As soon as the water arrived I sent two rigs to the horizon. Then sat back and watched and waited for some action. Now this venue, particularly at night tends to see some very high activity right at the start of the session, usually 1.5 hours before high. Well this time, nothing, Not a squint of a rattle. I watched and waited right up to high water only to be greeted by a lovely slack line bite, which was exaggerated by the wind carrying the line up into the air and forming a big bow. I quickly wound in and as soon as I got tension the fish bolted out of the water right infront of me. I was only using 3 ounce pyramid weights and the fish had no problem getting the bright green sinker clean out of the water for me to see! A nice and fiesty fight and sure enough I had a fine 42cm bass on the beach. Just about the legal size to come home for my dinner! At least the blank was saved as I was getting worried by this point.

66BB5561-6E4F-4D47-A16B-EAFE8B2CE2BB.jpeg

Another 30 mins into the ebb and a few rattles graced my distance rod, then only disappointment endured to see an eel had taken my offering. I hate eels, but I have to give this one credit for being quite chunky and carefully lip hooking itself!

146BCAA0-63D2-479B-8092-6F04BF50CF2A.jpeg

I sent the distance rod back out and about 10 mins later a good forceful pull-down and succession of thumping bites came. I struck into the fish which put a real bend in the rod and fought all the way in. Usually when bass fishing you get a good take, then a effortless retrieve (as its usually swimming towards me), then a good fight as it runs out with water. This fish wasn’t having none of it and fought all the way to the beach which was nice. Turns out it was a decent 55cm and very strong bass - I was really happy now!

6A306E45-0B56-4F66-BB19-C5D335004803.jpeg
24970771-78EC-41F2-BC99-28F2461346D1.jpeg

After that bit of action it remained quiet until just as the water was disappearing when I had missed a decent bite on each rod (which is not uncommon at this venue as its so shallow), 20 mins later there was only sand left in front of me so I packed up and headed home with a few decent fish for dinner.
Until next time

Alan

Couple of nice chunky specimens, well done. ?

Nice report Alan and a couple of cracking Bass too. Good effort!

Excellent little session! I was near there yesterday and thought it looked very bassy, nice colour and a bit of surf ?

It's a great time of the year to target the better bass. Well done nailing a good brace for yourself.

Well done on your catch of Bass :)

Nice work Alan mate. I’ll come over there with you in the coming weeks I’m sure.

Back