• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A strange day at chesil

Reevsey

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Met up with Pete yesterday for a session on the big beach . I did my usual warm up casts without rigs just to check reels weren't misbehaving all seemed good so on went the rigs with juicy fresh blacks . The 1st 3 casts i had crack offs Ffs whats going on . Whilst tying a new shockleader on one of my reels i noticed the other rod had gone slack great i thought a bloody great clump of weed probably after all what else could go wrong . How wrong i was when i reeled in a nice codling around the 2 1/2 lb mark . My luck then changed and i had another 10 cod of the same size throughout the evening pete picked a few up to . The fishing gods then decided id had enough cos next cast i managed to snap the top end of my Century TTsmg in to 3 pieces absolutely gutted . Was a great days fishing on the beach even if it was an expensive one . Good to catch up with Pete again we'll do it again soon when i have a shiny new rod to christen . A few pics from last night View attachment 3227320220909_191250.jpg20220909_172419.jpg

One of the reasons you buy quality British gear from Century and none of the dubious chonky chinky wobble sticks (other 3rd world wobble sticks are included) is that you get a warranty.
I contacted Century for Colin this morning and no problem no fannying about........ send the whole rod back so they can fit a tip to the butt and they will send a replacement no drama.
Now try that with just about any other brand.

One of the reasons you buy quality British gear from Century and none of the dubious chonky chinky wobble sticks (other 3rd world wobble sticks are included) is that you get a warranty.
I contacted Century for Colin this morning and no problem no fannying about........ send the whole rod back so they can fit a tip to the butt and they will send a replacement no drama.
Now try that with just about any other brand.
Pete your a legand . Thankyou very much . Not sure it snapped or i just wore out on the cod last night ?.

So here my version of events!

Same night same beach same rigs same bait same bloody everything and 30 yards away!.

So somehow everyone managed to forget how to drive in rain and started having car sex with each other and it took me over 3 hours to do the 45 miles to Chesil now this was an absolute disaster because my two chicken and lentil pasties that I had ordered were in a shop that shuts a 5pm and I had to eat some Walls things.
Anyway just got to Abbotsbury grabbed my bait and headed down to find Colin...... pitched up and he says the cods are here I have had 3 already and while I am tackling up he slides another up the beach.

So set up and out goes the gear and before anything happens for me Colin gets a double shot of codling on a pennel...... only small but hes catching them 2 at a time!.

Anyone who knows me knows I dont actually keep score but this is how it unfolded.

So since I arrived its 3-0 I get a lovely slack liner feel the weight then it off.

4-0

5-0

6-0

6-1 :)

Teds looking at me like "you useless twat" and I know its one of those days I start to mix up the distances and at last I get one.

The another then another...... I recover my credibility with Ted by catching a dog fish which is his favourite.

The sea is flattening the full moon is up and all is well in my world, Colin decides that hes had enough cods and says his goodbyes.

Truth is I just fancied sitting on Chesil enjoying just sitting there for the sake of it complete peace and tranquillity, I had a hunch as the tide picked up on the ebb I may find a few more and I did find another 3 tiddlers and I dropped one rod in short and snatched a bass of about 3lb (lunch today).

The end of the session was signalled by two things my headlamp (which I had forgotten and had to walk back to the car for!) gave the single blink of time up and a lost a heavy fish and set of gear into a line snag in the gutter (eel or ray triple squid 30 yards not bass) and that was my lot.

Two guys walked up to me in the car park who I had seen in Abbotsbury fishing tackle when I was picking my bait up said it was shit wasnt it! I said "my mate had 11 and I scraped out 6 n a bass " they were not amused lol.

So well done Colin and thanks for the lesson!

Sitting on Chesil last night as the seasons change and you have a couple of fish glinting in the moonlight next to you reminds me of the promise of the weeks to come.

Chesil could hit some spectacular form if we get a blow on some spring tides hopefully see you boys down there.

20220909_181727.jpg20220909_192616.jpg

Last edited:
Actually mate when you were not looking I was throwing stones at them trying to slow you down..... you were like a fecking supertrawler.
Every dog has his day mate i just struck lucky . We were both fishing the same rigs and baits strange how it works out but thats fishing . A good night and good company.

Every dog has his day mate i just struck lucky . We were both fishing the same rigs and baits strange how it works out but thats fishing . A good night and good company.
Everyone will tell you we learn more from a spanking than anything else....... there were some subtle differences from previous years and will take those on board.
That said you were like a machine! and fully respect that mate.
Great fun, great company, great fishing, great venue=great times, lets do it again soon!.
More the merrier!.

Great write up & photos Colin, well done with the Coddies and shame about the rod, but it sounds like Pete has sorted something. ????

Nice report & photos from you too Pete! Well done! ????

We were both fishing the same rigs and baits strange how it works out but thats fishing .

True Colin - 4 of us were out with John one night, similar rigs & bait, all within 150 metres on the same stretch. John had Bass, Dogfish and I think a few other bits, the other 4 of us totally blanked.

Two good write ups in one and great pics. Some very good fishing had by you both there, though shame about the rod which sounds like there is good news on that front.
Fingers crossed I've got the last week of September off work for some fishing down there, with a bit of luck and if it's half as good as that I'll be happy.

Two good write ups in one and great pics. Some very good fishing had by you both there, though shame about the rod which sounds like there is good news on that front.
Fingers crossed I've got the last week of September off work for some fishing down there, with a bit of luck and if it's half as good as that I'll be happy.
I will be out and glad of the company, I think Chesil will fish well now till bonfire night, then every year the volume of whiting makes it much harder.
Its looking like a good year on the cods a few better ones turned up last night. A big old blow would help things no end, even if its just to clear the line snags.

I will be out and glad of the company, I think Chesil will fish well now till bonfire night, then every year the volume of whiting makes it much harder.
Its looking like a good year on the cods a few better ones turned up last night. A big old blow would help things no end, even if its just to clear the line snags.
I'll bear that in mind, cheers.
Should know by the end of this week if I can get the time off.
?

Strange how some one can pull loads of fish in while some one right next to you gets nothing , went skate fishing one night there was 4 of us ,fishing shoulder to shoulder using same bait , same rigs and just lobbing the rigs out , cant be more than 50yds out because we where using shrimp as bait before elastic cotton was invented so you could not secure your baits to your hook properly , i,m going back 60 years , hell am i that old, gulp. One of my mates had 9 skate the rest of us had one a piece , even to this day i still cant work out why this happened So a good little right up Reevsey and Pete brought back memories thanks,

Back