• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales A tough couple of weeks.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Since hitting the 150 on September 21st I haven’t actually managed to wet a line again since, as the fishing gods seem to have been conspiring against me. First off was the FPOs birthday, when I didn’t have any choice but to call off the fishing 🙄, well it was either that, or sign my own death warrant 🤣. Next I decided to call off my Thursday session due to the promise of strong winds, and rain of biblical proportions. I was absolutely fuming when the weather turned out to be dry after all, and I had wasted an opportunity for some fishing 🤬.

After that, I was desperate to get out this week, but fate intervened yet again as over the course of last weekend, I developed a nasty dental abscess 😖. After a series of cock ups at the dentist, it was to be Wednesday before I could have the abscess drained and get my hands on some antibiotics, so that was 3 sessions missed as the lure season ticked away 😢. Which brings me to last night.

With the antibiotics yet to kick in, I still wasn’t feeling great but I kept an eye on the forecast all day, just in case I happened to feel better. After starting the day with another forecast of heavy rain, just like the previous Thursday, things looked increasingly dry through the day but the strong winds, with gusts nearing 40mph, had steadfastly refused to ease. Unlike rain, I could always find shelter from the winds so I decided to dose myself up with paracetamol, and to head out anyway.

By 18:30 I was all packed up and ready to go, but a last minute glance at the forecast showed that within the last hour it had changed completely again, and was now giving an 80-90% chance of heavy rain virtually all night 😮. How the Met Office can’t forecast the weather accurately more than an hour in advance I’ll never know, and if I was that incompetent at my job then I would have been sacked a long time ago 😠. It was too late to change my plans at that point, so hoping that the forecast would turn out to be as inaccurate as it had been the previous Thursday, I set off regardless.

40 minutes later and I arrived at my first choice mark in the middle of a downpour, to find that the winds were in fact blowing off the left shoulder as I had expected. Despite the sea being relatively calm though, the damage had obviously been done earlier in the day, and the water was the colour of soup with absolutely zero visibility ☹️. I wasn’t about to be beaten that easily though and so I jumped back in the car to head for my next choice mark.

15 minutes later and I was there, finding relatively calm conditions once again, but though the water clarity was an improvement on the first mark, it still wasn’t that great, and with visibility of only around 3inches at most, I decided to move on again.

15 minutes later and I was parking up at mark number 3 of the evening, where I finally found some clear water 🤩. After getting suited and booted I began the descent down to the water, but it had been almost 3 years since I last fished the mark and things had changed just a little since then. Not only was the undergrowth a lot thicker, but I would only find out as I got near to the shore, that a tree had also fallen down, blocking the usual path 😳. As the rain continued to fall, I made my way slowly though the undergrowth like some sort of Welsh Indiana Jones battling through the rainforest, all that was missing was a machete to clear a path 🤣. Despite only having my bare hands, I eventually found myself safely at the shore and ready to start fishing 👍.

Now my favourite time at this particular mark is the early flood, but I still had a couple of hours of the ebb to go yet, so I decided to spent the time exploring a new stretch of coast to the left of where I usually fish. 90 minutes later, and with no action, save for a solitary splash in the margins, which I assumed to be a small pollack, I decided to make my way back to my usual spot, having a few casts on the way, ready for the start of the flood.

10 minutes after low, and I was back in familiar surroundings, where I began to fish my Mishna around in the flow, exploring the eddies in an attempt to find where the fish might be lurking.

The flood started off quietly, but after 30 minutes my lure was hit for the first time of the evening. My immediate thought was a small schoolie but the fight didn’t seem quite right 🤔. Not wanting to risk losing it, I took my time playing the fish until eventually, the attacker was beaten. I then slid my catch ashore to find that I was right to have my doubts, and that it was in fact a pollack, around the 0.5lb mark.
Pollack - Oct 5th 2023.jpg

I was happy to have beaten the blank, but it wasn’t a bass, so with my confidence boosted I carried on fishing.

30 minutes later my lure was hit again, with a lot more force, and this time I had no doubt as to the identity of the assailant. After a very enjoyable scrap in the fast flow, my first bass in 2 whole weeks was safely landed 😊, a half decent fish of 54cm.
Bass - 151 2023.jpg

Despite the rain, which was falling heavier than ever, I was actually really enjoying myself now and 20 minutes later came hit number 3 of the evening. This time my Mishna was absolutely smashed and as the rod tip was pulled hard over, the fish took off a couple of meters of line off against my tightly set drag 😯. Now I would be lying if I said that the thought didn’t cross my mind that this might be that biggie I’ve been hoping for but sadly, after this initial onslaught the fish ran out of steam. After a couple of minutes I was able to guide bass number 2 of the evening safely through the weeds, and it turned out to be a slightly better fish of 56cm 🥳.
Bass - 152 2023.jpg

The flow was really beginning to increase by now, and it was becoming more difficult by the minute to control my lure, which raced through the swim at a rate of knots, but I kept trying for another 45 minutes. I was finally forced to call it quits 2 hours after low water before fighting my way back through the jungle, uphill this time 😩.

I eventually arrived back at the car, drenched both from the rain which had eventually seeped through my wading jacket and hoodie, and from the sweat which resulted from me being wrapped up all night in several layers of waterproof clothing, as I yomped backwards and forwards along the weed covered shoreline 🥵.

So after a couple of weeks which have seriously curtailed my fishing, I’m finally back on the bass trail with another brace to add to my total, and given how difficult last night’s session was I’m feeling very confident for the week ahead. With more settled conditions on the way, as long as the forecasters actually get it right of course :rolleyes:, then I’m looking forward to what I hope will be a productive week.

Not only do I have my 2 usual mid-week sessions planned, but I also have an all-day pass for next Saturday, and with any luck I’ll finally get to meet that big Autumn girl I need to top off what is already a season to remember 🤞.

Well Done Andy some nice Bass and hope that abscess has gone I'm lucky anything Dental with me the Mrs is Dental Nurse and can sort it more often than Not👍

Great report Andy, nice bass mate.. Lovely pics... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Thanks for the replies all (y).

Though the abscess seems to be clearing up nicely, I've spent the weekend trying to shake off a cold which I've caught from one of my boys 🤧, but all being well I'll be back to 100% for my first session of the week in a couple of days time 🤞.

Back