• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A trip to the mighty River Tay

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Having been rolled over twice due to covid we, my mate Pete and I, were eventually off to fish for three days on the mighty River Tay.
We were fishing on the Cargill beat which is split into an upper and a lower beat
which rotates so we would be fishing Thursday and Saturday upper beat Friday lower beat.
DSC_0617.JPG
This is looking upstream on the upper beat on Thursday, us doing a bit of Harling, before we anchored to spin for a bit. We saw three salmon show in the morning but caught nowt. The afternoon was fly fishing and spinning from the bank.
Friday on the lower beat, same plan of attack, Harling and anchored spinning from the boat and fly and spinning from the bank. Saw one fish nowt caught.
DSC_0614.JPG
DSC_0613.JPG
DSC_0000_BURST20220401093913708.JPG
The river was clear an falling in everyday so conditions were nigh on perfect for Saturday back on the upper beat and we were fishing with confidence.
Unfortunately not to be this time, the fish were running hard and not stopping on the beat, catches literally started on the beat directly above us.
It was an enjoyable trip all the same to a river I had never fished before.
Maybe next year.

Having been rolled over twice due to covid we, my mate Pete and I, were eventually off to fish for three days on the mighty River Tay.
We were fishing on the Cargill beat which is split into an upper and a lower beat
which rotates so we would be fishing Thursday and Saturday upper beat Friday lower beat.
View attachment 24750
This is looking upstream on the upper beat on Thursday, us doing a bit of Harling, before we anchored to spin for a bit. We saw three salmon show in the morning but caught nowt. The afternoon was fly fishing and spinning from the bank.
Friday on the lower beat, same plan of attack, Harling and anchored spinning from the boat and fly and spinning from the bank. Saw one fish nowt caught.
View attachment 24751
View attachment 24752
View attachment 24753
The river was clear an falling in everyday so conditions were nigh on perfect for Saturday back on the upper beat and we were fishing with confidence.
Unfortunately not to be this time, the fish were running hard and not stopping on the beat, catches literally started on the beat directly above us.
Maybe next year.
Fished that beat myself.. lovely bit of water.

Not my thing, but it looks a great location. Well done Thrash! (y)(y)

View attachment 24750
View attachment 24751
View attachment 24752
View attachment 24753
Maybe next year.
Bad luck on not catching but nice report and great pics. I've had a few good days very close to where you were fishing but never on that section. I love being out on rivers like that though.

Looks like a beat filmed by jack Charlton and Ian Botham???

Nice report mate, shame about the lack of a tug on your line but unfortunately Salmon are rarer than those Cod unicorns the southern lads go on about. I've fished the Hotel pool at Kenmore and Loch Tay itself but no salmon to report. My mate (complete novice) got 2 belting Brownies in the space of two casts on a Tasmanian devil using a rod that I'd set up for him while I was tackling up.!

Nice report mate, shame about the lack of a tug on your line but unfortunately Salmon are rarer than those Cod unicorns the southern lads go on about. I've fished the Hotel pool at Kenmore and Loch Tay itself but no salmon to report. My mate (complete novice) got 2 belting Brownies in the space of two casts on a Tasmanian devil using a rod that I'd set up for him while I was tackling up.!
It is very often the way.
They have been catching them in the loch which means they are belting through the river.

Yep gave them a go, the megabass vision 110 is a lure of choice on the Tay.
It certainly is BUT ignore the old fashioned J11/13, CD9/11 and Huskyjerks at your peril! They all have a different action/working depth which can be absolutely key ime. Also the bounced Devon minnow has it's place. All can be adapted to work with single hooks.
ATB!

It certainly is BUT ignore the old fashioned J11/13, CD9/11 and Huskyjerks at your peril! They all have a different action/working depth which can be absolutely key ime. Also the bounced Devon minnow has it's place. All can be adapted to work with single hooks.
ATB!
I think they get more used later on in the year.

Fished the Tay for more than 50 years, top beats, basic beats, had my fair share over the years. Next time you go, ignore the fancy "top end" beats, go for something like Eradynate. Easy to fish, good pools for the spinner and some nice fly water. Also holds fish. Top end stuff is living on past glory and conning folk.

Flying C lure or a simple toby. The rapalas and stuff really only good from the boat. (beat above has one). Kynoch killer will beat the fancy modern lures hands down every time. White/pink or red/white for spring, blue/white for mid summer and orange or red for backend. All the glittery, all singing all dancing lures catch anglers, salmon laugh at them. Decent kynoch cost you £6.00, toby £same, glittery fancy hyped stuff £zillions
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back