• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice on a new tripod

Silverback

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi guys, I'm after a new tripod, I've got 2 imax tripods, but I'm looking for something stronger. Any comments will be welcome.

Hi mate! The "what tripod" question has been asked so many times, and I get the impression the answer is either Ian Golds or Shakespeare Salt.
I recently picked up a 2nd hand Salt & I'm very pleased with it, but I've seen folks say they don't like it because it is quite heavy. But you're not going to get something strong that will last, without the weight of material going into the construction. Shakespeare Salt for me, and another bonus is it goes up to 7ft for my Conti rod.

Hi guys, I'm after a new tripod, I've got 2 imax tripods, but I'm looking for something stronger. Any comments will be welcome.
Which imaxs have you got?

Ive a few the 7ft golds super match is a good safe bet but don't like top bar heads stays with two piece beach rods.

Daiwa telescopic compacts to 5ft comes with a bag with pockets for heads extends to around 9ft! pretty good feels heavy;ish when in bag but out feels light stable also you can use short as extending bits come off to leave a shorter unit. that stays with Three piece rods as all same height on quiver plus rods are 14ft odd. Think Icon or Imax had same version?
Other which is tough as F is one by Odds n sods smart design so stable they use a piece of angle that has been cut so bars lock into main leg
Top bar cups are an alloy tube that that's had a part cut out for rods to fit in and neoprene lined. Hard to find them.

Have another 7ft'er from LC rod rests from Canvey Essex sometimes had them on ebay but supplies kent and essex shops

Which imaxs have you got?

Ive a few the 7ft golds super match is a good safe bet but don't like top bar heads stays with two piece beach rods.

Daiwa telescopic compacts to 5ft comes with a bag with pockets for heads extends to around 9ft! pretty good feels heavy;ish when in bag but out feels light stable also you can use short as extending bits come off to leave a shorter unit. that stays with Three piece rods as all same height on quiver plus rods are 14ft odd. Think Icon or Imax had same version?
Other which is tough as F is one by Odds n sods smart design so stable they use a piece of angle that has been cut so bars lock into main leg
Top bar cups are an alloy tube that that's had a part cut out for rods to fit in and neoprene lined. Hard to find them.

Have another 7ft'er from LC rod rests from Canvey Essex sometimes had them on ebay but supplies kent and essex shops

Interesting link about the Tripod reviews Tourno, not seen it before! ??

A very personal choice in my opinion, much depends on you and the venues you fish? I would struggle with the MTI but if you can manage the weight it is by far the best. I use the Golds when I need one but for my local venues I mostly use a pair of sandspikes. I prefer them when using a pair of rods and find they make it easier when repositioning as the tide advances/retreats.

Last edited:
I like the look of that one. Thanks fot that.?
Haha! It looks good, but I've just clicked the link & it's out of stock until December 29th. Same with a lot of tackle - Covid has fecked up the Chinese imports.

Ivw got the grey imax fr extendable tripod, looks near enough identical to that icon extendable one if I'm honest, just in grey. Can't fault it, used it on rocks and beaches, very sturdy for an extendable one, and doesn't seem much different weight to my old one which was a 6ft icon one. The only thing I worry about on the extendable one is the plastic adjusters wearing over time and maybe not holding in position very well, but so far not heard of any failing... Apart from that, id highly recommended the adjustable ones. They're also very flexible on where they can be used, nothing worse than trying to set up a fixed length one on the rocks and not being able to get the legs to sit nicely, atleast with the adjustable legs it can be sat fairly level.

Golds everytime, I've got 2 of them, one I've fitted with stabilizers which has a mesh netting fitted so its absolutely perfect for match fishing or beaches where you have to move with the tide. It's more than big enough to keep your bait cool bag and everything else in whilst fishing, it's also very easy just to pick up and move without it collapsing. To be honest I've never seen anyone else with one.
Tight lines.

Why Knot 2 , 5ft sandspikes, i know the problem, to try and buy an original.Look at the price in my nieghbourhood.https://www.ahoywinkelonline.nl/ian-golds-tripod-supermatch-db1-double.html. Why not look at the Veals Range. Thats my next Port off Call.?

I have been trying to buy a Golds 6ft Supermatch for about five months but everywhere seems to be out of stock of not just those but nearly all tripods. I have decided to have a go at making my own.
Try maidstone angling Paul or Steve on 01622 200000, or medway tackle mick 01634 475260.
I expect they are a long way from you but I'm sure if they have any in stock either of them would send it.
Tight lines.

Try maidstone angling Paul or Steve on 01622 200000, or medway tackle mick 01634 475260.
I expect they are a long way from you but I'm sure if they have any in stock either of them would send it.
Tight lines.
Cheers mate. I will give them a call in the morning.

Back