• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Advice please!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all, an opportunity has presented itself to me to fish the Padstow area of Cornwall!!
I’m only getting one night on the 9th January so I don’t want to waste my night hunting for a reasonable looking mark. Do any of you lovely people have any suggestions?
Those who know me will no I’m not interested in fishing for smaller species so anywhere that has a chance of something 5lbs+ would be more what I’m looking at and preferably something that’s not caught in Kent! (Bass, thornbacks) ideally I’m thinking ray species, huss, congers or even tope!! (I know, it’s January so I’m probably asking a bit much! Lol).
Any pointers would be more than appreciated. Feel free to pm if you don’t want your marks publicised!
Thanks guys and merry Christmas to you all!!!

Hi all, an opportunity has presented itself to me to fish the Padstow area of Cornwall!!
I’m only getting one night on the 9th January so I don’t want to waste my night hunting for a reasonable looking mark. Do any of you lovely people have any suggestions?
Those who know me will no I’m not interested in fishing for smaller species so anywhere that has a chance of something 5lbs+ would be more what I’m looking at and preferably something that’s not caught in Kent! (Bass, thornbacks) ideally I’m thinking ray species, huss, congers or even tope!! (I know, it’s January so I’m probably asking a bit much! Lol).
Any pointers would be more than appreciated. Feel free to pm if you don’t want your marks publicised!
Thanks guys and merry Christmas to you all!!!
If you can get out onto Trevrose head have a multitude of spots good bay where RNLI station is but changed a lot since i was last there looking on G maps more 'lines' on roads than at a Only way is Essex night out!
But i'm sure if use a bit of soft chat will get a place to leave car as well out of Grockle/Emmet time

If you can get out onto Trevrose head have a multitude of spots good bay where RNLI station is but changed a lot since i was last there looking on G maps more 'lines' on roads than at a Only way is Essex night out!
But i'm sure if use a bit of soft chat will get a place to leave car as well out of Grockle/Emmet time
Will take a look, it’s my first lead yet!! Thanks very much 👌🏻

Depending on what side of estuary your on? there is stepper point but there are so many spots to choose there but much depends on weather as a West/south west won't have you waving your rods out front! but also remember being an Atlantic shore much of the place is pretty sheer/high drops.
Check G maps out you could find decent Cod out there also plus pollack Huss maybe a nice flat thing Brill/Turbot as much is sandy so stock with Sand eel/launce First thing in the morning/First light-Last thing as getting dark you can catch them with something like a bar lure and the fish come in the hit them as emerge/bury themselves where the busy session comes from in beach fishing!

Can use lure rod or i made a rig with rig body and make sort of paternoster style with swivel set around 2 foot up then around 4ft of lighter line going to chosen lure/redgill so can use on beach rod and goes good distance as wind in lead kicks sand up and they hit lure also fish do also.
Those bar lures or dexters pref thin type myself or a toby plus you could if want max distance make it a clipped down up n over that works

Not been that far West fishing Stormzy, but good luck mate! 🎣🎣👍👍

We go to Padstow every year and I fish every time with varying success!

My favourite spot is Trevose Head because you can spin for pollock which we don’t really get on the North Kent coast so something a bit different. Biggest I’ve caught probably 2.5-3lbs so not exactly big but lots of fun and good eating. However I wouldn’t recommend if you’re on your own as it can be treacherous and no phone signal when you’re close to the water! Assuming you do have a buddy then fish over low water on the side facing the lighthouse. Spin frozen sandal on a three foot trace size 1 kamasans. But again those rocks when damp are so dangerous and it’s shear in places.

Better bet I think is lower beach at low tide so you can cast into the channel. I’ve caught small bass, big whiting and a coal fish from this location so nothing massive. But I’m sure there are decent fish to be had when the tide floods in! Plus the Jaws 2 and other speedboats don’t run this time of year. Tide rips so pack some fixed wires.

Thank you all for your advice. I’ve had a pm or two so I think I’ve hatched a plan… fingers crossed the weather’s on my side!
Watch this space for the report. 🎅🏼

We go to Padstow every year and I fish every time with varying success!

My favourite spot is Trevose Head because you can spin for pollock which we don’t really get on the North Kent coast so something a bit different. Biggest I’ve caught probably 2.5-3lbs so not exactly big but lots of fun and good eating. However I wouldn’t recommend if you’re on your own as it can be treacherous and no phone signal when you’re close to the water! Assuming you do have a buddy then fish over low water on the side facing the lighthouse. Spin frozen sandal on a three foot trace size 1 kamasans. But again those rocks when damp are so dangerous and it’s shear in places.

Better bet I think is lower beach at low tide so you can cast into the channel. I’ve caught small bass, big whiting and a coal fish from this location so nothing massive. But I’m sure there are decent fish to be had when the tide floods in! Plus the Jaws 2 and other speedboats don’t run this time of year. Tide rips so pack some fixed wires.
Will a flip flop do? Or will a wellie sort out the better fish? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I know a mate of mine had some double figure bass somewhere near the river mouth on bait, a few years back , but I've only kitesurfed and windsurfed along there and cycled the south side path which runs a fair way inland. Remember seeing loads of bass and mullet near that big bridge..but not sure what winter fishing is like ...sorry.

Not sure if you are allowed to fish the harbour, but there’s some really big mullet in there, but probably they’ve already left to their wintering grounds. Failing that, always the chance of a big bass outside the harbour walls.

Not sure if you are allowed to fish the harbour, but there’s some really big mullet in there, but probably they’ve already left to their wintering grounds. Failing that, always the chance of a big bass outside the harbour walls.

You can fish the harbour but you need a licence. It’s free and you can get one from the harbour masters office. At least that is the case when I checked last…

Seen loads of fish in there including the biggest bass I’ve ever seen - its caudal fin was as big as my hand! Apparently strips of bacon is a good bait as that’s what the shops sell for the crabbers.

Loads of mini species in there. I’ve even seen a shoal of small pout, they’re actually very pretty fish with their stripes. It’s great fun going down there after dark with a torch and seeing what you can spot.

Last edited:
Back