• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

AFAW 6 and bait 14ft FS mk2

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hello all,

I’m thinking about getting a cheaper set of rods for fishing in the winter with fixed spool ( my hands suffer badly with the cold which makes my usual multis hard to use).

What’s everyone’s opinion on these rods? Would they work ok with braid and an over head thump or Brighton cast? What about reel up?

I fish the Bristol Channel so I’d be using 6oz usually and decent baits for codling ( in my dreams) bullhuss, ray and conger.

Although I normally use my century rods or Yuki Conti it makes me hurt a bit inside when they blow off the tripod etc.

Thanks,

There seems to be quite a few anglers who use Six n Baits on the BC, so they should be a good choice for you.. (y)

Ian.

Do you fish them reel up? How do you find the balance?
I use them reel up and find the balance is okay. But I've only ever used reels in this position and never used a multiplier from the shore.

They are quite a heavy blank but this is reflected with the power on offer.

I have been using my ttgsm's more this year, but have been in one or two situations where I wished I'd brought the 6&b's.

At the risk of upsetting many I have to say I dont like the the 6nB in any of its guises. And I've tried, honestly I have. I've cast and fished the range and rebuilt a few. I've mates who like them as a "do everything' tool but to me they that's their issue - too much of a jack of all trades and master of nothing. Numb/lifeless blanks with poor bite detection, ok for casting but pretty poor fishing rods. IMO of course. Tin hat on!

At the risk of upsetting many I have to say I dont like the the 6nB in any of its guises. And I've tried, honestly I have. I've cast and fished the range and rebuilt a few. I've mates who like them as a "do everything' tool but to me they that's their issue - too much of a jack of all trades and master of nothing. Numb/lifeless blanks with poor bite detection, ok for casting but pretty poor fishing rods. IMO of course. Tin hat on!
They're fine when fishing big baits for big fish. Not much use for the smaller species. They have their place in my armoury.

Fine maybe. Great no. Like many brands that purport 'British design' yet source all of their products from the Far East, AFAW sell what are infact cheaply made rods with correspondingly high margins. They have some good products but, just like the other non OEM brands, you really have got to cherry pick through their range. What they excel at is good marketing and product placement deals that fuel sales and sway opinion.

I was very lucky with mine. Right place right time for both of them. I paid £100 each for them brand new. I don't think you'd get a better rod for that money. I wouldn't pay full price for one.
I've also got a couple of the old clubman rods. Those are in a different league. But again, bought at bargain basement prices £125 each brand new.

Got to agree with topwater on this, and I own a pair of the 6&bait mk FS 14' rods!
They're good rods for the money, and they truly are a good rod, but they just don't excell at anything.
They have good enough bite detection (can see a dab bite at 100yds, with braid).
They cast well.
They even stand up well to being dropped and knocked about abit.
They also wobble abit in the wind, which is my biggest hate with them, they just don't seem to be very stable in any sort of breeze let alone a proper bit of wind.
They are a good rod for the money, but don't get your expectations set too high and don't go thinking they'll be your new go to rods.
I've only ever had a few different sea fishing rods myself so can't compare to alot, but the 6&bait, well, they just feel about wobbly to me, not as crisp and nice to use as some other cheaper rods I've owned and used.

But all that aside, if they do what you want and you are happy with them, get some bought and abuse them, they can take alot of stick and won't be coming home in more pieces than when you went out.

Back