• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

After 10 years I return to the pike

StaffsAngler

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Allthough most of my comments and threads land them selves in the sea fishing section today I have one for the fresh water boys!

After many months of being badgered by my friend to join him on a pike outing and unfortunately declining due to work commitments I finally managed to get a free Sunday to join him for a day on the river! At first light im in my car and travelling eagerly, 1 and a half hours to rendezvous on a rather convenient free car park just a couple hundred meters from mark 1!

In my early 20’s I tried my hand at the pike game before giving it up with a PB of 7lb, all be it small, for me this was a monster fish!! Back to today! We set up three rods, one with mackerel and two with herring. After plumbing depth on the near bank into some nice slow running water we were set at 15 feet of depth and the baits were in. The first hour was slow but eventually came a slow run on my friends rod and the first fish of maybe 5-6lb was landed, rested and returned to the water!

Our plan for the day was 30 minutes and move, and with this in mind we moved up a peg and got the baits in the water, I chose to flick mine just to the side of a willow growing down into the water! Waiting patiently a beautiful king fisher come flicking by, a sure sign of luck and what happened next has given me pike fever. While sat sipping a nice coffee cooked up on the jet boil my float started to move against the current. Slowly picking up the rod I let out a few more meters of line so the fish couldn’t feel any resistance, timing it just right I slowly reeled down on the last of the slack and pulled into it!! FISH ON!!

For the first few moments the head knocks didn’t feel sizeable and I said to my friend not to rush it will be a unhook in the water job! But as this fish came to the bank, it’s eyes met mine and it took off at Mac10 heading straight underneath the willow! Good tackle and strong braid pays off as I managed to hold the fish out and with a good old scrap we got it in the net!! Stunning 18lb 14Oz river pike! Safe to say my head fell off and I couldn’t believe my eyes! I had nearly tripled my pb then and there!! The day was a huge success! My friends largest fish was 14lb15Oz and also came out four more fish of the 8-10lb mark (not weighed)

Take a look at my girl!

Attachments

• 54B11C54-D4F8-43DB-874A-786457DEC27C.png
    54B11C54-D4F8-43DB-874A-786457DEC27C.png
    585.2 KB · Views: 29
Not my thing, Freshwater Dangling but a great report and a fabulous Pike Staffy - well done! 🎣🎣(y)(y)

Stunning pike mate, well done! I’m gonna be doing some piking this winter with the boy as he wants to catch one.
I havnt been pike fishing in ten years mate like the post said! But it’s really given me the fever now to get some more done this winter!!

Cheers for all the love boys. Makes a change to post a success story rather than my usual underwhelming north wales coast shore fishing reports 😂😂

Back