• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West After the Lord Mayor's Show...

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Two days ago I had my first cod of this winter from the Tamar, so with hope bordering on confidence I headed back to the same mark today.
First cast produced two big chunky whiting on the flapper rig and things were looking good. Sadly, it all went downhill from there, with a trickle of smaller and smaller whiting and a longer and longer wait between bites as the tide slowed towards high water.
The ebb is often good on the Cornish side of the river, but not today it wasn't! The whiting disappeared to be replaced by hordes of ravenous little pout. Two went out as livebait but no bass, cod or eels wanted to eat them.
Conditions looked much the same as two days ago, perhaps with a little less colour in the water and a smaller tide, but that's the Tamar for you.
Everyone who fishes the river regularly knows there is no magic bullet (though fresh crab helps). You just have to put the hours in, keep plugging away and sometimes it comes right.
Hmmm - the forecast is looking OK for Friday...PH

Two days ago I had my first cod of this winter from the Tamar, so with hope bordering on confidence I headed back to the same mark today.
First cast produced two big chunky whiting on the flapper rig and things were looking good. Sadly, it all went downhill from there, with a trickle of smaller and smaller whiting and a longer and longer wait between bites as the tide slowed towards high water.
The ebb is often good on the Cornish side of the river, but not today it wasn't! The whiting disappeared to be replaced by hordes of ravenous little pout. Two went out as livebait but no bass, cod or eels wanted to eat them.
Conditions looked much the same as two days ago, perhaps with a little less colour in the water and a smaller tide, but that's the Tamar for you.
Everyone who fishes the river regularly knows there is no magic bullet (though fresh crab helps). You just have to put the hours in, keep plugging away and sometimes it comes right.
Hmmm - the forecast is looking OK for Friday...PH
Good try PH - at least you are getting out & giving it a go! ??

Well done for trying, you know and mention the secret of success in the tamar, hours and good bait! Sure you will get some more.

Back