• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Ah at last 😍

Si-fly

Reaction score
PXL_20230815_194333911~2_GOoN5ZJ84n.jpegPlymouth fireworks this week, so down yesterday in the van with the Mrs..... Mountbatten carpark the destination.....which allowed for a crack at the elusive Topknots!

I've never landed one, closest I've come was lifting one out and having it fall off at Poole 🙈.... nightmare.

Anyway, we were met with road closure signs for the following morning....so it was going to just be a quick session that evening over high. This limited my movement somewhat , and I ended up basically fishing off just 1 rock down a couple of gaps each side.

Bait was bits of fish, squid and prawn on a jig head.

It turned out to be a busy few hours with some memorable moments!

The first of these was trying out a little 2ft ice rod...bought as a laugh really, and hooking a large conger, amongst the mass of Shannies.

This as you can imagine didn't end well, and after a tug of war, and a crack from the new rod, the line parted and it was gone!

Checking the rod the quiver tip I'd used as a lighter main section had split a bit 🤬🤬

Oh well back to the Shannies, Pout, Poorcod , Goldsinnys, Pollack, and Tompots, before another memorable moment... another heavy weight!PXL_20230815_154400707~3_kIajMPmR3T.jpeg....this time I won and had a pb lobster 😁PXL_20230815_181754901_YJmsqvx40n.jpeg

Back at it with the Shannies and then it happened.... something flat came up 👀....as fast as I could it was swung to safety....no way, at last the special Topknot....talk about happy!PXL_20230815_173336369~2_vXIVZaXU4V.jpeg

After plenty of pics I was back at the Shannies, then something different again, a nice Rockling....only my 3rd ever so happy with that.PXL_20230815_175606167_B1T1R90J62.jpeg

Back on the Shannies and thinking of packing .....bang.... another good conger!.....the poor rod cracked a bit more and I grabbed the line as it was pulling off the reel.
Tug of war commenced for a 2nd time....I'd gain a couple of foot, lose a couple...it wasn't looking good and just a matter of time with the line going down through the boulders.
Maybe 30 seconds later it was gone, line cut through 😢

A few more Shannies and I called it quits well happy.

Today I had a quick go at Elphinstone, hoping to find grey Gurnard....alas it wasn't to be, plenty of Tompots, rockgoby , blackgoby, Pollack, Shannies, a couple of Dragonets and a sandsmelt....super day as well.... fireworks later, then maybe have a look for something else very special 🤔
Cheers.PXL_20230816_101352943~3_QSscatzY0V.jpegPXL_20230816_093223166~2_LMdNWADA72.jpegPXL_20230816_115022252~3_rFIpnDXt9L.jpeg

Last edited:
Top dangling Si, and fantastic pictures, as always mate... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

View attachment 49792Plymouth fireworks this week, so down yesterday in the van with the Mrs..... Mountbatten carpark the destination.....which allowed for a crack at the elusive Topknots!

I've never landed one, closest I've come was lifting one out and having it fall off at Poole 🙈.... nightmare.

Anyway, we were met with road closure signs for the following morning....so it was going to just be a quick session that evening over high. This limited my movement somewhat , and I ended up basically fishing off just 1 rock down a couple of gaps each side.

Bait was bits of fish, squid and prawn on a jig head.

It turned out to be a busy few hours with some memorable moments!

The first of these was trying out a little 2ft ice rod...bought as a laugh really, and hooking a large conger, amongst the mass of Shannies.

This as you can imagine didn't end well, and after a tug of war, and a crack from the new rod, the line parted and it was gone!

Checking the rod the quiver tip I'd used as a lighter main section had split a bit 🤬🤬

Oh well back to the Shannies, Pout, Poorcod , Goldsinnys, Pollack, and Tompots, before another memorable moment... another heavy weight!View attachment 49791....this time I won and had a pb lobster 😁View attachment 49790

Back at it with the Shannies and then it happened.... something flat came up 👀....as fast as I could it was swung to safety....no way, at last the special Topknot....talk about happy!View attachment 49789

After plenty of pics I was back at the Shannies, then something different again, a nice Rockling....only my 3rd ever so happy with that.View attachment 49793

Back on the Shannies and thinking of packing .....bang.... another good conger!.....the poor rod cracked a bit more and I grabbed the line as it was pulling off the reel.
Tug of war commenced for a 2nd time....I'd gain a couple of foot, lose a couple...it wasn't looking good and just a matter of time with the line going down through the boulders.
Maybe 30 seconds later it was gone, line cut through 😢

A few more Shannies and I called it quits well happy.

Today I had a quick go at Elphinstone, hoping to find grey Gurnard....alas it wasn't to be, plenty of Tompots, rockgoby , blackgoby, Pollack, Shannies, a couple of Dragonets and a sandsmelt....super day as well.... fireworks later, then maybe have a look for something else very special 🤔
Cheers.View attachment 49788View attachment 49787View attachment 49786
Great report and photos as always Si ! Thought I recognised that first photo ! 😁😁 Nice one ! 🎣🎣👍👍

Cheers lads appreciated 👍

Had a few hours today exploring mostly out the strong se wind...didn't find anything special today, but 2nd cast hit a nice bass on the 6g rod 😁...the little reel was screaming, but eventually it went in the net which just reached with its 20ft handle!....low tide is tricky round Plymouth!PXL_20230817_101724926~2_F6IcM4EB7r.jpeg
PXL_20230817_112020906~2_56TKNKdQ7e.jpeg
PXL_20230817_140719287~2_r60imCfu6m.jpeg
PXL_20230817_123340833~2_wdKqAzZX66.jpeg
Black, Rock, Sandgobys, Pout, Pollack, Bass, Goldsinny and Tompots today......just fish baits and plastic again as no worm in the shops ☹️

Cheers lads appreciated 👍

Had a few hours today exploring mostly out the strong se wind...didn't find anything special today, but 2nd cast hit a nice bass on the 6g rod 😁...the little reel was screaming, but eventually it went in the net which just reached with its 20ft handle!....low tide is tricky round Plymouth!View attachment 49841
View attachment 49842
View attachment 49843
View attachment 49846
Black, Rock, Sandgobys, Pout, Pollack, Bass, Goldsinny and Tompots today......just fish baits and plastic again as no worm in the shops ☹️

Another good report & phots Si!

If I'd known you were still lurking Si, I'd have come visit ya! 😁😁

Back