• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Akios nitron F15 xp.

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone using these able to off er an opinion only seen the older one with red spool and seen a few negative reviews on them.

Judging by the lack of replies, I'll hazard a guess that they are not all that popular.

Plenty of Akios sponsored anglers think they are the "mutts nutz" I believe.. :rolleyes:

Ian.

'A few negative reviews' - that's an understatement or you haven't searched hard😄 They were crap, turds wrapped in glitter, as is lot of their stuff. Buy a Fathom would be the answer you'll get from most, or mag a Daiwa/Shimano

I think they have just changed the colour looking at them to be honest.. :rolleyes:

Ian.

'A few negative reviews' - that's an understatement or you haven't searched hard😄 They were crap, turds wrapped in glitter, as is lot of their stuff. Buy a Fathom would be the answer you'll get from most, or mag a Daiwa/Shimano
I've got a pair of fathom cs which are ok and saltist 30H's magged which are built to much higher tolerances, would like something 6500 or 5500 size but built to last. Been advised to look at the Penn fathom 300 low profile but no local shops have them.

There's a big difference between a reel the size of the "Noxious"15 and the Fathom300LP which is a low profile, level wind baitcaster designed for lure fishing. I take it the Fathom 12 too big/heavy for what you are looking for? If you explain what are you wanting to use the reel for I'm sure advice will follow 😉

Last edited:
Well if it's small solid casting reels you need, what about an original penn 515?
Personally I now use penn fathom 12s loaded with .32 for distance fishing.
If extreme range is needed, I use Abu 65s with the inherent proviso they are not heavy duty cranking reels.

i run fathoms 12 early ones maged they hold 220 yds of 18 lbs line my beach reels , can run fast if thats what you want or slow , also have the 15 and penn reels of that size ,good if rock fishing with heavy line 25 + but can hold too much line and bird nest

Well if it's small solid casting reels you need, what about an original penn 515?
Personally I now use penn fathom 12s loaded with .32 for distance fishing.
If extreme range is needed, I use Abu 65s with the inherent proviso they are not heavy duty cranking reels.
The mk1 USA 515 Shirl? They are so rare I've never seen one for sale. I've read they made a short run of them before everything headed to China and we got lumbered with the mk2 sales pitch and shyte reels.

i run fathoms 12 early ones maged they hold 220 yds of 18 lbs line my beach reels , can run fast if thats what you want or slow , also have the 15 and penn reels of that size ,good if rock fishing with heavy line 25 + but can hold too much line and bird nest
With the right set up they shouldn't bird's nest JW?

What I'm looking for is a multiplier the size of the Abu 6500 but built to last that can take some abuse. Not sure such a reel exists not seen the Penn's in the 22 size as can only find the 15's or bigger in local shops.

What I'm looking for is a multiplier the size of the Abu 6500 but built to last that can take some abuse. Not sure such a reel exists not seen the Penn's in the 22 size as can only find the 15's or bigger in local shops.
Why don't you have a gander at the Akios Shuttle 555/656 STR Kuro's, 5500/6500 sizes, I had the 666 versions and are pretty descent reels, and great casting reels, but again suited to cleanish ground.. (y)

Ian.

Depending on how much you’re willing to pay, the akios shuttle are a good reel , and if you’re really into top quality British made reels then have a look at the tg reels very solidly made , diawa make some good multiplers,

Attachments

• IMG_1747.png
    IMG_1747.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
The 12s are a narrower spool version of the 15 Goose, I like them, particularly with the double paddle handles fitted. The Akios Shuttles are probably Omoto's finest and are upgraded versions of ABU 6500/5500, with thicker spindles and brass sideplates *. I've personally found 5500 sized reels a bit too small for much of my own fishing, bit for you they may be perfect? I'd rather a bit more weight and much more strength in the Fathom 12s. Elsewhere you'll read of the Daiwa 7ht Mag (6500 equivalent size) - I've had no issues with mine, but others have. I use these for distance fishing on clean ground in the summer when there's nothing like the weed load we get in winter.

* Edit - and solid cages

Last edited:
Another vote for the fathom 12s. Solid reels that can take some punishment. I load mine with 12 to 15lb mono, can be used on most venues apart from the really rough stuff. Brilliant to cast if magged properly. For my Bristol Channel fishing I use original Sl30Hs loaded with 30lb mono, they take a beating but never let me down.

I've had the akios 666 shuttles which good but wanted a little smaller for 12lb line on a bass/fatty rod, will look at the 5000 size akios .
Cheers.

I've had the akios 666 shuttles which good but wanted a little smaller for 12lb line on a bass/fatty rod, will look at the 5000 size akios .
Cheers.
Iv got a pair of the akios 565 for sale (5000 size ) I’m in Brighton if you wish to have a look at them , iv used them 3 times

Back to the Nitron's, I have a pair of the XP ones and find them a big improvement on the red one's , which were terrible, they cast well and have a much better retrieve than the originals, the XP's seem to be made much better than than the red ones and the gearing seems to mesh better unlike the red bag of spanners ! also use Fathom 12's/15's/Casting specials, but often use the XP Nitrons when a bit of extra distance is required.

Back