• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Alderney Ring Buoy Stop

GPSguru

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
One soloution is a tri- stop, which is 3 - 6mm SS round bar, bent to a triangle with a SS 316 ring welded on the top. But £30 ! Er no.

IMG_2370.jpeg

Also some folk use a lump of 2 x 1 with a hole in it, some use a short length of broom handle and just tie a clove hitch, but after finishing the hand rails on the raised deck at home, I had some 48mm 316 tube going spare, and the MiG was still loaded with 316 wire.

One hour later , a short length of tube, cap the ends, and weld on a 316 rope ring,

IMG_2366.jpeg

Can’t you just tie a knot in the rope.?

Yes, you can, and that is what I often do now, but it is a PITA because you have to lift the buoy to untie the knot before you can you use the boat to recover the anchor using the 125mm SS ring attached to the buoy.

The knot I always use if I want a secure loop on a rope is the Alpine knot, also known as a climbers knot, or butterfly knot. It provides the same security and strength in all 3 directions, and doesn't clinch tight when it has been under pressure, making it very easy to untie.

Tree demolition monkeys also use it, maybe @Redneck Dek does ?

Yes, you can, and that is what I often do now, but it is a PITA because you have to lift the buoy to untie the knot before you can you use the boat to recover the anchor using the 125mm SS ring attached to the buoy.

The knot I always use if I want a secure loop on a rope is the Alpine knot, also known as a climbers knot, or butterfly knot. It provides the same security and strength in all 3 directions, and doesn't clinch tight when it has been under pressure, making it very easy to untie.

Tree demolition monkeys also use it, maybe @Redneck Dek does ?

Mostly use a zigzag with a bowline👍failing that a bowline with a long tail and a prussick knot👍

Back