• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales All good things must come to an end.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a few days fishing on dirty bait, it was back to the lure fishing on Thursday evening and with no wind to speak of, I had my choice of marks. After giving it some thought, I decided to head back to the same spot where I caught 11 bass on my last visit, and I was hopeful of another decent session. The weather on my arrival couldn’t have been nicer, with clear blue skies and bright sunshine, the water though was also flat calm and gin clear so I was a little concerned that the bass wouldn’t feed confidently until after dark, which was a good 4 hours away.

As it happened I was right, and despite me trying a wide variety of lures and seeing baitfish scattering across the surface several times, I didn’t get any interest at all. While the fishing was very quiet though, I was entertained by watching the crabs in the crystal clear water, as they went about their daily routine of scuttling around and mainly fighting each other ?. All the while I kept trying different lures and as darkness finally started to fall, I began to see a few more signs of life, but it was nowhere near as busy as it was on my last visit. After over 4 hours of fishing my lure was actually hit, but I knew straight away that it wasn’t a bass, sure enough I reeled in to find a greedy little pollack has taken a shine to my Ruf Manic. Not what I was after, but at least the blank was beaten (y).
Pollack June 2nd 2022 (2).jpg

Though my catch wasn’t silver, my confidence was still boosted and now I started to hear quite a few splashes and slurps out in the gloom, no matter what lures I tried though, the only sign of interest I had was when something plucked gently at my SF125, as I waked it gently across the surface, but alas it failed to hook up ?.

2 hours later, and with high water approaching I started moving back along the shore towards the car, and this almost paid off when my Mishna was smashed out of the blue ?. Typically though, after only a few seconds the fish threw the hook and was gone, leaving me gutted that I had missed my only decent chance of a bass in over 6 hours of fishing ?.

Being honest there was nothing I could have done about it, so I got straight back to the fishing in the hope that there was more than one bass out there ?. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and despite feeling fish plucking at the tail of my Mishna several times, I assumed they were just tiny schoolies and none of them were able to get a proper hold of the lure. 45 minutes later I’d had enough and it was clear that it wasn’t going to be my night, so after 7 hours of fruitless fishing I was forced to admit defeat on my first failure to catch a bass in 12 sessions, since April 14th ?.

Though the fishing was over, I had one last thing to do. As part of my routine, I always switch on my headlamp at the end of a session, in order to take a reading of the water temperature and to have a good look around for signs of baitfish etc, but when I did so this time I was shocked to see a flounder resting on the bottom, right next to my foot! ? I quickly came up with a cunning plan and I swapped my Mishna for a Ruf Manic, and then I gently lowered it onto the bottom next to the fish. Once there I dragged it slowly towards the fish and then with a quick upward flick of the rod tip, I foul-hooked it ?.

After a quick snap the flattie was released none the worse for its experience, but sadly it wouldn’t have been fair to count it as a legal lure catch ?.

So an otherwise quiet session had ended on an interesting note, but the pressure is really on now for me to get back on the bass trail again next week ?.Flounder June 2nd 2022.jpg

Back