• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West All white on the night

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
All white on the night chesil

19/11/21

All you do is sit there! was my other halves response when I said I would rather go fishing to keep fit than join a gym. Well not tonight!

Arriving at chesil a couple hours before dark with high tide 4.0m ish around 6.40pm and an unusually flat sea at the end of a mild grey day it became clear from the off it was going to be a busy evening.

As soon as the bait hit the bottom it was under attack. In daylight the bites were tiny rattles to the rod tip. Strike and you miss them, leave them to develop as I was looking forward to doing following some good advice after my last report & on reeling in you have a fish on the same size as your hook! It was clear the nuisance fish were in town.

I baited up around 7 or 8 pulley rigs mainly single some double hook before dark, fresh mackerel, frozen squid were the main baits have not sourced anything fresher yet thinking this would take me well into darkness as I was short on batteries for my head torch that night.

As it got dark the bites kept coming & became slightly bigger, not really bending the rod tip much & annoying bites dragging the lead sideways without giving a slack liner though a bigger lead helped stop some of that.

The fish got bigger as darkness fell with a bite a cast all good sized whiting I believe, following some discussion with a fellow angler and consultation with “British sea fishing “ one of my go to guides about the difference between whiting & cod. Oh no I said it!

The fishing was relentless, no matter what size bait even a flapper was devoured & some of the hooks were engulfed meaning a few fish came home for tea.

I stopped around 10 to refuel, take tablets, rest & rebuild some of the trashed rigs & sort out an enormous bird’s nest that appeared out of nowhere. Why do I keep looking at the rod tips even though I know there not cast out?must be nearly time to go!

The tide was well on the way out by now meaning the trek down over the ledge to cast or move everything closer.

I continued for another hour with same outcome before the inevitable drag back to the car.

I guess an insight into the migration of a different species tonight & a far cry from the blanks a couple months ago but no big fish some people are never satisfied!

Anyway sit there my arse! Perhaps I should leave the seat at home it would be one less thing to carry!

The whitening hordes are in big time nonestop fishing in those conditions whole squid or fillet of Mac on a sz3/0 will get you the bigger ting and maybe something better well done buddy ?

All white on the night chesil

19/11/21

All you do is sit there! was my other halves response when I said I would rather go fishing to keep fit than join a gym. Well not tonight!

Arriving at chesil a couple hours before dark with high tide 4.0m ish around 6.40pm and an unusually flat sea at the end of a mild grey day it became clear from the off it was going to be a busy evening.

As soon as the bait hit the bottom it was under attack. In daylight the bites were tiny rattles to the rod tip. Strike and you miss them, leave them to develop as I was looking forward to doing following some good advice after my last report & on reeling in you have a fish on the same size as your hook! It was clear the nuisance fish were in town.

I baited up around 7 or 8 pulley rigs mainly single some double hook before dark, fresh mackerel, frozen squid were the main baits have not sourced anything fresher yet thinking this would take me well into darkness as I was short on batteries for my head torch that night.

As it got dark the bites kept coming & became slightly bigger, not really bending the rod tip much & annoying bites dragging the lead sideways without giving a slack liner though a bigger lead helped stop some of that.

The fish got bigger as darkness fell with a bite a cast all good sized whiting I believe, following some discussion with a fellow angler and consultation with “British sea fishing “ one of my go to guides about the difference between whiting & cod. Oh no I said it!

The fishing was relentless, no matter what size bait even a flapper was devoured & some of the hooks were engulfed meaning a few fish came home for tea.

I stopped around 10 to refuel, take tablets, rest & rebuild some of the trashed rigs & sort out an enormous bird’s nest that appeared out of nowhere. Why do I keep looking at the rod tips even though I know there not cast out?must be nearly time to go!

The tide was well on the way out by now meaning the trek down over the ledge to cast or move everything closer.

I continued for another hour with same outcome before the inevitable drag back to the car.

I guess an insight into the migration of a different species tonight & a far cry from the blanks a couple months ago but no big fish some people are never satisfied!

Anyway sit there my arse! Perhaps I should leave the seat at home it would be one less thing to carry!
Makes me laugh about woman and there idea's of things! Met one in a night club she asked what i did said Cycle race to which she said thought you'd do something Strenuous like footballer!.When in Velodrome there is no where to hide it's flat out or go home no hiding on field like footballers. or 12hr time trial 216 miles.or out in morning and do a 100 miles then work at 1pm.

Great report and plenty of Fish JOLC - well done mate! ??

Back