• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Another Chesil report

bananas

Reaction score
Was going to try and meet up with @Tatunka joe yesterday, but I got halfway along the beach and could just make out his blue tent, way further ahead, I looked down at my knees and they said, "sod that, stop here", which I did. First out was a Pouting, followed by a small Plaice, so no blank today, then as I was sat on me box rebaiting, I had a slack liner, but bugger all on it when I got it in, as the bait looked ok I just flipped it out and finished of the rebaiting job, gave it 10 mins before bringing the rods in for a change and the one I just flipped out was feeling quite heavy on the way in, though the surf dump I could see another Pouting and up on the beach behind him was a Sole, happy days, got my target in just over a hour, he was on a rig that @chesilpete showed me, so many thanks to him (y) (y), this fella gave me my 53rd species which is one more than last year so was very pleased landing him.
IMG_20221002_161956.jpg
After that excitement I managed another small Plaice and lots a pouting as dusk fell, as I had my target early, I decided not to stay on till high, but to call it a day just as the light went, typical last cast had a Dogfish on it, after a quick check in to see how tat was doing, it was on to the walk up the hill.
A Quick bit about the flies there, that @J Richards mentioned in his post, fecking loads of them!!, one thing I found that they liked more than the bait tray, egg mayonnaise, had to jog around my camp eating my roll so they couldn't get to it!!

Was going to try and meet up with @Tatunka joe yesterday, but I got halfway along the beach and could just make out his blue tent, way further ahead, I looked down at my knees and they said, "sod that, stop here", which I did. First out was a Pouting, followed by a small Plaice, so no blank today, then as I was sat on me box rebaiting, I had a slack liner, but bugger all on it when I got it in, as the bait looked ok I just flipped it out and finished of the rebaiting job, gave it 10 mins before bringing the rods in for a change and the one I just flipped out was feeling quite heavy on the way in, though the surf dump I could see another Pouting and up on the beach behind him was a Sole, happy days, got my target in just over a hour, he was on a rig that @chesilpete showed me, so many thanks to him (y) (y), this fella gave me my 53rd species which is one more than last year so was very pleased landing him.
View attachment 33558
After that excitement I managed another small Plaice and lots a pouting as dusk fell, as I had my target early, I decided not to stay on till high, but to call it a day just as the light went, typical last cast had a Dogfish on it, after a quick check in to see how tat was doing, it was on to the walk up the hill.
A Quick bit about the flies there, that @J Richards mentioned in his post, fecking loads of them!!, one thing I found that they liked more than the bait tray, egg mayonnaise, had to jog around my camp eating my roll so they couldn't get to it!!
Nicely done Bob !!!

Great report & well done on the Sole Bob! ????

Never heard of a plague of flies like that so close to the sea, except the Midges in Scotland! ??

Never heard of a plague of flies like that so close to the sea, except the Midges in Scotland! ??
If it’s what I’ve had down there, feckin sand flies, persistent buggers and tough too - really have to squeeze them to kill them, a slap won’t do it.
Then they give out a weird stink when they’re crushed.

We get plenty in the seaweed after a storm on the beach, mainly summer time.

Back