• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Another couple of steps closer.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After finishing with a blank the previous Thursday, the pressure was really on last week to get back on the bass. The weather gods had other ideas though, and Tuesday evening turned out to be a bit of a ninja test. The forecast wasn’t too bad, with light winds promised along with the possibility of some light rain, but what do meteorologists know :mad:. Far from being light, the breeze was quite fresh from the start, which blew the rain that was already falling, straight into my face ☹️. This resulted in a bit of a chop and rather poor water clarity too, but with the weather supposedly improving later, and the depth of water increasing, I hoped that the disturbed sediment would wash through with the tide.

I fished on for the next 3 hours or so without a touch, but eventually the rain eased and the water clarity did improve, unfortunately though, rather than ease off, the wind picked up even further. This resulted in quite a swell developing and despite the water remaining fairly clear, I was constantly subjected to splashes of cool salt water right in my face 😰.

This wasn’t particularly enjoyable, and I did begin to wonder why I was putting myself through it, but the prospect of reaching my bass target spurred me on. Eventually my efforts paid off when after over 3 and a half hours of fishing, my Mishna was finally attacked out in the tumbling waves 😮.

My immediate thought was, “Now that I’ve actually hooked something, how the hell am I going to land it in these waves?” 🤔 But sadly I didn’t get a chance to answer the question, as after about 10 to 15 seconds the fish threw the lure and made good its escape! 😭 I was absolutely gutted to miss what could well turn out to be my only fish of the night, but only time would tell if that was to be the case.

I fished on for another 90 minutes, but the earlier lure muncher must have been a loner and no matter what I tried, I didn’t get another sniff. Eventually I called it a night at 00:30, with 3 successive blanks for the first time in a very long time, 2 on lures and 1 on bait 👎.

Next up was Thursday night and after a promising, dry start, the weather gods soon put their evil plan into action once more, as 30 minutes after I started fishing, the rain began to fall. Despite this, it wasn’t all bad, as unlike on Tuesday night, the wind stayed light. Wrapped up in my new and waterproof wading jacket, I fished on and I actually heard a few fish moving. This gave my confidence a big boost, but sadly they weren’t interested in my lures ☹️.

Though the fishing was quiet, the time passed by surprisingly quickly and by the time I had my first hit, almost 3 and a half hours had passed. Whereas on Tuesday night the first hit had resulted in a hook up, this time I didn’t even get that, as after a couple of sharp taps the fish was gone 👎. Never the less, it was a sign that the fish were about and they were hungry.

10 minutes later my Mishna was hit again and this time the attacker made no mistake. The fish put up a stubborn resistance in the tide run and though it didn’t take any line, it was in no hurry to give up. I kept the pressure on and despite a couple of last gasp dives in the shallows, the fish was finally beaten. After 3 blanks in a row, I was back into the bass with a decent fish of 56cm 🥳.
Bass - 144 2023.jpg

Now that I was within 2 bass of equalling my best ever season, I was determined to catch a couple more, but an hour later when my third bite of the evening came, I missed it again 😢. That wasn’t the end of the excitement though and 45 minutes later I was in again, with a second bass of 49cm, again on the Mishna 😊.
Bass - 145 2023.jpg

One fish short of my target, I couldn’t leave it there 😂, so fished it hard for another 45 minutes but finally, as the clock ticked around to 1am I was forced to call it a night and to head back to the car, just as the rain finally stopped after 6 and a half hours! 🤦‍♂️

Despite not reaching my target, I was more than happy to end my mini blanking streak with a couple of fish, which hopefully will be the first in a long productive streak 🤞.

Great report Andy, top dangling mate, and lovely Bass and pics, nice one... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

What are you closer too..? 😳
Beating my best ever total of lure caught bass in a season.

My previous best was 146 last year, and so far this year I'm on 145.

Great report & photos Andy. 🎣🎣👍👍

Back