• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Another decent day on the water.

GPSguru

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
The weather was ok and so was the sea, so the wife, grandson kyle and I launched at 8:00am and headed for the skerries banks. For us, that is about 18-20nm and takes about 40-45mins. On the way we stopped for mackerel, but could only find a string of sprat sized mack.

Once on the skerries we drifted for plaice and caught 6 keepers quite quickly, the wife also had a 2lb tub which is a decent fish. Kyle suggested we drop the anchor to go sfter Rays, so I motored out to my favourite mark on the outer side of the banks, and dropped the pin, so we were fishing in 80ft.

Within 30mins I was into my 1st Blond of the day, a nice fish of 12lb. Kyle soon followed with more fish and by mid afternoon our tally was 12 blonds, 10 of which were doubles. TBH, using 12-20 kenzaki rods with 30lb braid made it quite sporting with the blonds holding off and taking line in the 2kt tide.

So the scores for the day were 12 Blonds, 6 Plaice, 5 mini mack, 2 dogs, and one gurnard.

We pulled the anchor and got back to the slip at 17:30, so I’m bloody knackered ! A round trip of 44nm.

IMG_2458.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg

Last edited:
Great report.

Where i had boat you could just motor out within half a mile and get a fair selection in just 30 - 40 ft of water

Do yo have to go that far for a good session, or could you fish closer to shore?

Great report.

Where i had boat you could just motor out within half a mile and get a fair selection in just 30 - 40 ft of water

Do yo have to go that far for a good session, or could you fish closer to shore?
Yes, there are closer options, but the skerries banks are famous for plaice, turbot, and rays, in both quantity and quality. Also add in that we travel along a stunning coastline down into the south hams.

On the return journey we stopped and played with 2 pods of dolphins, at scabbacombe bay and berry head.

Lovely day afloat and some great sport had too👍 Good to see another RIB enthusiast too😉. I'm up early to launch the 5m 🤞

Lovely day afloat and some great sport had too👍 Good to see another RIB enthusiast too😉. I'm up early to launch the 5m 🤞
Yes, the RIB is a 5.85m (19ft) Ribcraft offshore professional, that I commissioned in 2019. Powered by a 150 Merc. I had 8 rod holders built into the A frame to store the rods vertically, and the electronics include twin garmin chartplotters with panoptix livescope.

It is not unusual for us to go out to the 40 mile wrecks on a decent day.

Last edited:
Great report & photos Ian, plus a good haul of fish. Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Some lovely fish there mate. Don't know why but when you said grandson I had envisioned a young ankle biter rather than a great big lump. 🤣

Some lovely fish there mate. Don't know why but when you said grandson I had envisioned a young ankle biter rather than a great big lump. 🤣
Yes, he is 17 now and 6ft 4”
He has been boat fishing with me since he was 5 years old 👍

He helms the boat quite often, and if anything happened to me out there, I would have total trust in him to get us back, he is a wise old head on young shoulders.

Back