• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Another slow evening.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a quiet session the previous Thursday night, I saw several reports this week of the very same beach producing plenty of bass 🙈, but after giving it some thought about a return, I reasoned that the place might be busy with all the publicity, so I decided to give it a miss. After a good think I settled on a quieter beach instead, where I was fortunate enough to catch 2 decent small eyed ray around this time last year. There was still a pretty good chance of a bass or coalie at this spot too, so I was confident of a decent session :giggle:.

I arrived just after low water and my confidence was immediately boosted further, when I found a very fishy surf rolling ashore. First off I rigged up my continental rod with a 3-hook flapper, and after baiting it with a mixture of rag and lug, I blasted it beyond the furthest white water. Once this was settled I immediately rigged up my second rod with a 4/0 single hook pulley dropper, which I baited up with half a squid. This was also cast to maximum range, in an effort to reach a decent depth of water, before I sat back to wait for the action to pick up.

Sadly, the evening got off to a very slow start and the rods remained completely motionless for the first hour, save for the continuous, rhythmic nodding caused by the waves. Despite this, I kept a steady stream of fresh bait going in, still confident that the fish would turn up eventually 🤞. Finally, after about an hour and a quarter I had the first bite of the night, a half decent rattle, but unfortunately the culprit missed the hook 👎.

Over the next 45 minutes I missed several more bites, but eventually my luck changed and the blank was beaten with the first whiting of the night, a small pin but a fish nonetheless 👍.
Whiting 1 Feb 9th 2023.jpg

Now that I had got the hang of it, I caught a steady stream of mainly small whiting, though I also missed the vast majority of the bites I had. In fact there were so many of them out there, that even the large ray baits were being stripped within 10 minutes or so of being cast out. After a couple of hours of this, I conceded that there were obviously no rays about, so it was time for a change of tactics 🤔.

Though the majority of the bites were undoubtedly pin whiting, I began to wonder what else might be out there, so the 4/0 ray rig was swapped for something at the other end of the scale. In its place I clipped on a 3 hook boom rig, armed with size 8s and baited them with small pieces of lug or rag and this rig had hardly been in the water for more than a few minutes when the rod tip started rattling. To be honest I was hoping for a 5-bearded rockling or some variety of flatty but it wasn’t to be, and there were so many whiting out there that nothing else stood a chance of getting near the bait.

The last hour of the session continued to produce pins, but in among them I thought I’d finally hooked something a little more interesting. A more urgent knock dislodged the lead and the culprit actually put up a bit of a scrap in the surf 😮, but rather than the hoped for bass or coalie, it turned out to be just another whiting, albeit a decent example of over 34cm 😊.
Whiting 2 Feb 9th 2023.jpg

With high tide approaching though, I’d had enough of catching whiting and I finally called it a night at 00:20.

Next up is a dads and lads huss hunt tonight, with Steve A and our boys, so hopefully we’ll all get something which will fight back for a change 🤞.

Unfortunately last night didn't live up to expectations, with only a few whiting caught on the small baits.

The huss we hoped for where nowhere to be found, and apart from the crabs, which were surprisingly active for this time of year, the big baits remained completely untouched 😢.

It was a cracking night to be out though, and the boys still really enjoyed themselves 😊.
Moel y Don 2.jpg

Moel y Don 3.jpg

Well done Andy getting out with the kids, im sure they would have had a great evening out with the Dads (y)

Back