• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Any plans for the upcoming months ahead?

Fedstar

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well,
in-between normal runs up the coast😎 me and our Darren are off next month to visit another one of my nephew's down in Southern Ireland.

Our Ryan ( the nephew we are going to visit)moved down South but it is me and Darren's gain.

We shall kip in the motors mostly an visit Ryan's place to scrape the bait an crud offa ourselves. Three to four days is the guessed at stay.
Target will be Smooth Hounds, Bass and maybe some Tope.

Then sometime during August me and Darren are away again up the Antrim/ North coast for three to four days. Target fish will be Pollock on the spinners and some excellent Flattie fishing at a unique beach. This beach is studied by educated people🤪

During winter hundreds of tonnes of sand are swept off this beach leaving it just cobbles. Then during summer the sand returns.

From what I have read this beach has such a dramatic shift over such a short time it condenses the amount of technical data available to just one year. Otherwise the educated people would have to spend an amount of years studying standard type beaches to gain the same amount of information.

Anyhow😁
closer to Christmas we are off to the North coast for some Winter Bass staying for a undesclosed number of days, an if the Winter fish Gods an the cold blue waters smile down upon our thick Knoggins 🤪 we will try for a Cod or two .

That's the plans so far, but I am sure other plans should enter the fray.

Mark...

Last edited:
Nothing as planned as you have Fedstar, just need to get out a bit more to the salt. Competing with the fteshwater at the moment.

With the cod gone, I find myself coming up with daft ideas.
So, I'll be after a thornback ray.
Within 200yds of my front door.
A shore tope within 3 miles of my front door

Just dreaming as usual.
1st I must get Noel back on the road 🤣

Can you "tread" them in the estuary or is it too muddy to do it?
uddy to do it?
The channels are way too deep even at low tide. You can tread flounder further up opposite the strip mill by the wakeboard club at low tide, Lot's of brown shrimp as well if you have a pushnet. Watch out for the bore though

The channels are way too deep even at low tide. You can tread flounder further up opposite the strip mill by the wakeboard club at low tide, Lot's of brown shrimp as well if you have a pushnet. Watch out for the bore though
That's where i was thinking along the coast a good bit either side of the old ship where its wide .

was fishing strangfod 2 or so weeks ago and other parts of down using LRF gear great fun one kelp cod but i couldnt land it. know tha red matted sea weed? covered the braid and the fish luckily using a barbless circle hook and it shook itsel loose. Up coming months gonna try for Carlingford lough on the Co down side. wife doesnt want to travel too far so rules out north Antrim and Donegal.

hoestly i think downs fished out, nothing at all from strangfod pier when the mack should have been in, ardglass if tawleres are moored i'm not able to get onto the rocks. My knees are done and golfers dont like anglers cutting across them. excuse my jibberish writing ive a prob with tight hand and can only single letter type with my left hand.

That's where i was thinking along the coast a good bit either side of the old ship where its wide .
Too deep at low tide and too fast there. The channel was been dredged there as far up as the steelworks quay under the new "Flint Brdge" You'd probably be OK upstream of the Cob in Flint but the plaice don't move up [past there. Plenty of flounder though.

Last edited:
Hiya Dave😎
On our trip down South we will be fishing just above Dublin.

Ryan is fishing the marks he has in mind now, an as soon as the fish arrive he will give us a shout. Me and Darren will be off like two scalded cats lol.

If you don't get to fish in Devon Dave? at least you'll get yerself a tasty ice-cream 🤪

When i can be bothered to ask our Ryan the locations, I will let ye know.

Mark ..

Nothing as planned as you have Fedstar, just need to get out a bit more to the salt. Competing with the fteshwater at the moment.
Ahhhh, it burns, fresh water? Hersey lol

As long as your enjoying yerself Thrasher mate, that's the main thing. Getting out and getting the head showered, sure ye canny beat a bit 0 fishing be it fresh or salt😎

Mark...

Won't be going far mate. Just the local estuary, see if I can get a few plaice now they are a bit fatter
Bout ya VB🤪

Aye I'm doing fine, my back hurts😁my sinuses are going mental an I'm losing my mind? I think🤪 being in your 50s is no joke,,, or is it? 😁

Like me ye Dinny have to travel to catch fish, but it's nice sometimes to try somewhere new.

Good to be talking te ye once again VB😎

Seem to have answered your other post as well VB where ye ask if I was ok🤪🤪🤪 told ye I am loosing it😁

Mark...

Last edited:
With the cod gone, I find myself coming up with daft ideas.
So, I'll be after a thornback ray.
Within 200yds of my front door.
A shore tope within 3 miles of my front door

Just dreaming as usual.
1st I must get Noel back on the road 🤣
Ah Shirley,
The Cod left these shores a brave while ago now😐 I was to young to take advantage of the Cod, but do remember my Da and his mate big Bobby pulling them in.

Thornback Rays ye say! How the mighty have fallen😙 Have never felt the allure of fishing for Thornies as Lough Swilly in Donegal is jam packed with them, it's hard to catch owt else when fishing down the Swilly.
So maybe it being so easy put me off them, dunno lol.

But any port in a storm so to speak. Hope you enjoy the flat doggies and it's like this, ye won't have to go far te get a cup 0 tea and yer dinner😎😎

Mark...

Liam I have two fit hands an still bang single keys😄
See them golfers tell them te get away te fuk from about ye lol.
I have fished the down coast an have caught Bass in Carlingford. But it's a dangerous ol' game as ye have the dander out by Green island caravan park an fish the channels at low tide. Ye can find yerself wading through waist high water in the channels behind ye at times.

Take yerself up to Portavogie peir or the beach facing it. I have caught down there most times I've fished it an the Mackerel are inside the harbour at high tide.

Take er easy Liam 😎

Mark...

My aim is a 7lb + bass on a lure ,& a 15lb+ smoothound
As long as those weights of fish are attainable Wolf an your not setting your sights too high, then I wish you all the luck in the world chum 😎

It's good to have goals and gives ye something to concentrate your efforts on.

Like I say fella, all the best in getting outta fishing what your heart desires 😍

Mark...

Bout ya VB🤪

Aye I'm doing fine, my back hurts😁my sinuses are going mental an I'm losing my mind? I think🤪 being in your 50s is no joke,,, or is it? 😁

Like me ye Dinny have to travel to catch fish, but it's nice sometimes to try somewhere new.

Good to be talking te ye once again VB😎

Seem to have answered your other post as well VB where ye ask if I was ok🤪🤪🤪 told ye I am loosing it😁

Mark...
Wait till you get to my age Fed :unsure:

Back