• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Any views on Travel Beach casting rods against 2 piece?

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Comments:
For and against.

And would also depend on what size leads you would be going to use i suppose.

Ian.

And would also depend on what size leads you would be going to use i suppose.

Ian.
Also what the rods are rated at. Plus allow for bait etc.

I personally don't like three piece rods, let alone a four or five piece one, but that's just me.

Ian.

I personally don't like three piece rods, let alone a four or five piece one, but that's just me.

Ian.
I have a few two piece beach & boat rods, also a couple of three piece; One of my fly rods is a 4 piece and casts as well as my two section ones - not cheap c rap either. Horses for courses as they say. (y)

I just think the more joints, the more stress points. ;)

Ian.

The less joints, the better a rod should be. Unfortunately for transport etc, there is a need to have 2,3,4 etc piece rods.

I would decide if you need a 4 or 5 piece rod for transport reasons then research which is best for your needs and budget.....just my take on your question 👍

I collected a few 3-piece beach rods before moving to France. The standard 2-piece, particularly the long tip format, are not particularly travel friendly.

My old Conoflex Safari 45 is bomb-proof, though a little heavy. The Greys Triad is a damned good casting rod for me, though I have changed the butt guide for a high framed Fuji that suits a fixed spool better. I also have a Shimano Ultegra Surf Sensitive that casts well without drama, lovely rod!

My only proper travel beachcaster is a Fox, 7-piece I think, which casts very well but weighs a ton. I left that with relatives in Deal, just in case I visit.

Somehow I don't see myself ever buying a 2-piece surf rod again!

I have a matching pair of Imax 4 Ceps 13'6" 4-5oz rods,4 piece that fit on the parcel shelf in the car.All Fuji rings and sliding reel seat.Can't knock 'em.Perform like a 2 piece imo.Bit on the stiff side but bend OK and bite detection is good.Always have them in the car when on holiday.(y)

Last edited:
I dont like rods with multi joints,more weak points in my opinion,
Valid point Wolfie, but some rods would be impractical to transport with only 1 joint.
My 15ft Conti rods would be a bit over 7' 6" if only 2 piece, and if taking rods on holiday, often a multi-section rod is the only option.

You 've got no choice then Trampster,hopefully they wont let you down tight lines for when you use them mate
The first Conti rod I've had for over 2 years and no issues. John gave me a similar rod that he'd snapped the tip on - I repaired it and that has been fine too.

No need for multi-section travel rods for me - we don't fly for holidays, always take Jeepy!
Took the Conti rod to France a few times, and 3x 5ft sections is no problem.

I have used both 2 section & 4 Section rods, as long as you buy decent quality there is not a lot of difference in performance imo.

I have a pair of Ron Thompson traveller beach rods, 6 section, and these have been great for holidays and trips away in the U.K. not had anything huge on them but managed rays to 7lb and codling to 6lb, and plenty of big strings of mackerel!
Trade offs would be slightly short at 11’6, also heavy for their size, but can’t expect everything.

I have a Conoflex 12 ft travel rod that they put together for me as a one off, took it to Australia and New Zealand , Africa etc handled Rays, Sharks, Snapper, Butterfish etc , bigger than anything you would regularly encounter in the UK from the beach .
It performed faultlessly.
Hanging on to it as it is perfect for Holidays abroad . I think it is probably a Flck tip that has been adapted but not sure .

Dave

It depends on what make .the length of the rod . How many sections it has ..and what the casting rate is. personally I have a pen three peace beach caster I have used for years whilst on holiday and it's never let me down..obviously it won't cast as far as my two peace rods ..
But that's only to be expected..all I can say about this is that you will get what you pay for..

Found the greys triad a really useful rod, to keep across the boot of the car as a spare in matches etc when I had to use one rod but fancied having a decent back up just in case.
With the reducer it takes the rod up to 14ft so a good usable size. The only problem was I snapped the tip due to a casting disaster (my own fault). Luckily found a replacement rod on eBay recently, so will hope that has better luck!

Back